Can BPH treatment cause infertility and impotence, and how can I avoid these issues if I am planning for a family?

Dr Ronny Tan Ban Wei

"Urologist fellowship trained in Andrology & Prosthetic Urology"

Common first line medications that are used to treat BPH can potentially affect the erections as well as the ability to ejaculate and hence can deter successful conception.

For men with mild BPH and concerned about the above-mentioned possible side effects, there are different medications that can be given to improve the flow of the urine as well as the strength of the penile erection. This is one option that I would advise for.

For all the medications mentioned above, they are all prescription drugs and should only be obtained from a medical practitioner.

For a man to be put on medications for BPH, his symptoms must be adequately bothersome. Sperm can be retrieved by other techniques if ejaculation is the issue. Consult a urologist to discuss this further and explore different options to improve your chances of conception without having to live with bothersome lower urinary tract symptoms.