Can ptosis be corrected without creating double eyelids?

Dr Terence Goh
5.0

"Plastic Surgeon at AZATACA Plastic Surgery"

Thank you for your interesting question. Many patients are usually more concerned about the presence of double eyelids and hence most of the ptosis repair surgeries I have done are usually combined with double eyelid surgery. Whilst double eyelid blepharoplasty remains one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries performed in patient with Asian eyelids, the shape of the eye and correction of ptosis is far more important than just creating a fold. I have had patients who identify strongly with their monolids and would not want to have that changed. These are often male patients who are concerned that having double eyelid crease would create a feminising effect or make them look too different. 

Yes, it's certainly possible to correct ptosis whilst keeping your monolids. A detailed examination of your eyelids would be necessary to answer this question and the ability to do this would depend on your anatomy and if you have a pre-existing crease. Some individual with a single eyelid (monolid) actually have a very low crease that is created by the eyelid fold. Hence entering the crease at this level will enable this relationship to be preserved. Alternatively, entering the eyelid from a posterior approach on the underside of the eyelid can also preserve the anatomy of the monolid. Both approaches are not always right for every eyelid and an in-person consultation is best for your plastic surgeon to assess and discuss the most ideal approach for your case.

I hope I have answered your question. Have a great weekend!