Esther

Do we need to get a measles vaccination if we are headed to Taiwan or Japan due to the measles outbreak?

Vaccination
There has been a recent measles outbreak in Taiwan & Japan. Do we need to get vaccinated if we are heading there? I checked that we are vaccinated when we were young. Will the vaccination effect last till adulthood? I understand that there are actually 2 shots for the vaccination. I checked my health booklet and saw only 1 date being recorded for measles vaccination. Does it mean that it is insufficient? Thanks!

Hi Esther,

Yes, I'd suggest visiting your GP to get a second dose, if you are unsure whether you've had 1 or 2 shots. Your doctor can do a simple blood test to check if you have immunity. However, the blood test can actually cost more than getting the second shot of the vaccine, so if you're really worried, just go ahead with the second shot!

2 doses of the MMR vaccine grant life-long protection against measles, even into adulthood. One dose of vaccine is 95% protective, and two doses provide 99% protection. This is because between 2% and 5% of people do not develop measles immunity after the first dose of vaccine. The second dose is not a booster, but rather produces immunity in the small number of people who fail to respond to the first dose.

FYI, under the Infectious Diseases Act in Singapore, it's mandatory for children to undergo two doses of the combined measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine during their lifetime - the first dose at 12 months of age and a second dose at 15 to 18 months. 

0 537 views 0 Doctors agree 3 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Vaccination or ask your own question now FOR FREE.