For acne scar treatment, is there typically more improvement in the first or last few treatments, and how much % improvement can I expect after each session?

Dr Chin Yee Choong
4.7

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

Subjectively, most of my patients report more perceptible improvement after the 2nd-4th treatment sessions if typically they undergo treatments spaced 1-2 months apart.

This corresponds to the new collagen formation stimulated by the treatment which starts about 1-2 months after each treatment and tapers off 4-6 months after treatment assuming no further treatment is performed.

8-15% improvement is to be expected after each treatment.

After about 4-6 treatments, results generally start to taper off although a small group of my patients continue to observe improvement beyond the 6th treatment.

Acne scars should improve with each treatment session and personally I do expect to see a 20% improvement with each session. 

That being said, other factors that have to be taken into consideration would be whether each scar type is being treated optimally with the most appropriate treatment method as each scar type do respond differently to different treatment methods, machine settings etc.