DXD Admin from Singapore asked a question

How can I treat my red and inflamed inner eyelids before LASIK?

Hi doctors,

For the past year I’ve noticed that my upper inner eyelids (inner corners) look red and slightly swollen, which is not visible on the outside. My eyelid margins also look normal with no discharge. And there is no itching, irritation or pain, except slight discomfort/dry eyes with contacts.

Recently I went to an eye specialist for this but she didn’t even flip my eyelids to see what was wrong. In the end she said the upper part of my eyes are dry and only prescribed lubricating eyedrops.

As I am intending to go for Lasik, I wish to seek advice on how I can improve my eyelid conditions. I have stopped wearing contacts and tried warm compresses for weeks (as it seems like mild blepharitis, not GPC) but saw little improvement. Is there anything else I can do? (medication, eyedrops etc)

Dr David Chan
Ophthalmologist
Dr David Chan
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Fri Jan 26 2018 11:35:20 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear carol

It seems like you are having some symptoms suggestive of inflammation around the surface of the eye. This could be due to dry eye, blepharitis or allergic conjunctivitis, to name a few possibilities. It would be best to seek the opinion of an ophthalmologist who would be able to conduct a thorough exam of your eyes and direct the right treatment for your symptoms.

With regards to blepharitis, it is true that warm compresses can be helpful. However, often times chronic cases may require medication in the form of topical antibiotic and steroids. Best to seek the opinion of an ophthalmologist to know what treatment is required in your case.

0 150 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jan 26 2018 11:35:20 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Por Yong Ming
Ophthalmologist
Dr Por Yong Ming
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Sun Feb 04 2018 16:35:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Carol, there are several possibilities for the problem you mention ie redness and slight swelling just on the inner part of the under surface of the eyelids.

It may be nothing pathological (sometimes certain parts of the eyes/eyelids may look a bit redder but be normal), or it may be issues like dryness or eyelid inflammation/blepharitis.

Without knowing what the problem is for sure, it is difficult to know what else to do to make it better.

If you are intending to go for LASIK eventually, I would suggest you pay a visit to a doctor who also performs LASIK and seek his/her advice, including about your eligibility and whether any pre-treatment of your eyes/eyelids is necessary.

0 149 views 0 Doctors agree Sun Feb 04 2018 16:35:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)