How can I treat my urine incontinence in Singapore, and how much will it cost?

Urology Health & Fitness

I am a 61 year old female. I have urine incontinence and have to use a panty liner for accidental leakages. But the problem is exacerbated when I get sick and cough badly, then the urine is like a burst pipe such that it is extremely difficult to go out (even just to see a doctor downstairs). What are effective solutions to my problem? (e.g. treatment / surgical procedure, including cost of treatment/surgery/timeframe needed)

For females, the most common cause of urine incontinence aggravated by cough is due to weak pelvic floor muscles (commonly related to pregnancy and childbirth). We also call it stress urinary incontinence. Many women restrict their activities due to this.

There are other causes of incontinence as well, such as overactive bladder. The treatment between these two are very different.

The treatment is step-wise from simple to complex, before any invasive treatment, we perform objective tests such as the Urodynamic test to differentiate between the two.

If the Urodynamic test confirms the cause of incontinence, the treatment consists of the following (in general):

Treatment for stress urinary incontinence: Pelvic floor exercises, vaginal laser, surgery

Treatment for overactive bladder: Bladder training, medications, neuromodulation, and surgery

The time frame from assessment to treatment normally takes 2-3 weeks.

17 views 24 Apr 2019

The gold standard objective investigation to test for urinary incontinence is called a urodynamic study. This test is able to determine if you suffer from stress urinary incontinence, urge incontinence or a combination of both.

In addition, it can also determine the severity of the urinary incontinence. In this way, we can then recommend oral medication or surgery as the best and most effective method of treatment.

296 views 26 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Urology Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.