How does eczema of my breasts affect breastfeeding?

Skin, Hair & Nails Women's Health Eczema

Dear Dr, I am a 24 year old female. I have been having eczema for the past 3 years. My breasts are also affected - it tends to get quite itchy, and occasionally there's also weeping from my breast. How will this affect my breastfeeding, and how can I treat it? Thanks! 

I agree with Dr Ho that you should seek a doctor's opinion early regarding your eczema, especially if the rash is itchy with signs of weeping.

It sounds like you may be having an acute flare of your eczema.

While the eczema itself should not affect your breast feeding in terms of the quality or safety of the breast milk to your baby, breastfeeding especially with multiple feeds a day regardless of direct latching or pumping may cause the skin to be more dry and sensitive, especially around the nipple area.

This may in turn worsen the underlying eczema that you are already experiencing.

Eczema is best treated with regular use of moisturizers as well as topical steroids, which are generally safe.

However, it would still be good for you to seek a doctor's opinion first to ensure you receive timely and appropriate treatment.

Dr Michelle Chia
MBBS

Dr Tan and Partners @ Bencoolen
The Bencoolen
180 Bencoolen Street #02-20

349 views 27 Dec 2018

Sorry to hear you are having a flare of your eczema in addition to trying to look after a young baby. I would advise that you see a doctor or dermatologist so that your condition can be looked at and treated quickly.

If there is weeping from the breast, the eczema areas may be infected. Usually topical antibiotics and steroids will help treat your eczema quickly.

If the condition is quite severe, sometimes oral medicines may be added. Eczema is easily treatable so do approach an experienced doctor for help. This will allow you to breastfeed your child comfortably again.  Hope you feel better soon!

Warm regards

Dr Stephanie Ho, Dermatologist

Dr Stephanie Ho

Stephanie Ho Dermatology

PACIFIC PLAZA, #08 - 05
9 SCOTTS ROAD

350 views 27 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Women's Health Eczema or ask your own question now FOR FREE.