How effective is laser treatment for melasma? (photo)

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed2,569 times

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Melasma is a challenging condition to treat. 

This is because there are multiple causes of melasma including sun exposure, hormonal causes (pregnancy, contraceptive pills) and genetics.

It is good that you are doing your best in wearing sunscreen and using the necessary sun protection. 

You are correct that melasma is very difficult to get rid off. In fact, melasma can be "improved and well-controlled" rather than "totally removed". 

Lasers are effective but they are not the first line treatment for melasma.

Treatment for melasma includes:

First Line Melasma treatments

• Sun protection & sun avoidance,
  • Discontinuation of birth control pills or intra-uterine devices containing oestrogen,
  • Medical-grade whitening creams - Hydroquinone 2/4% daily for up to 6 months or Triple Combination creams 

Second Line Melasma treatments

I usually consider second line melasma treatments if there is no response from first line treatments after 6 months. 

• Azelaic acid
  • Kojic acid 
  • Ascorbic acid
  • Niacinamide
  • Arbutin

Third Line Melasma treatments

• Glycolic acid peels
  • Lasers like Nd:YAG lasers
  • Oral tranexamic acid

Most of the time, creams and chemical peels can already give you good improvements for melasma.

Beyond the marketing hype, Lasers should be used for stubborn melasma that does not improve despite other types of treatments (creams/peels). 

The key for melasma treatment is to find a doctor who is experienced in treating pigmentation because melasma treatment is a long journey. I liken it to a marathon, not a sprint!

Hope this helps! Warmest regards,

Melasma is a tricky condition to treat as there are many factors involved and the pigment can be situated superficially, deep in the skin or a combination of both superficial and deep.

However, there are treatments available to treat this condition via different pathways.

Personally, I use topical lightening creams, orals and different machine-driven therapies to target the pigment at different levels in the skin to get optimal results.  Treatment of melasma is like a regime and requires patience as multiple sessions are required.

Nonetheless, you should also have an examination done as not all pigmentation are melasma and different types of pigment will require different treatment modalities. Hope that helps.

All the best!

Melasma often presents as brown patches on both side of the cheeks, and is fairly common amongst Asian women and the darker skin types.

I can totally understand that patients can be quite disturbed by its appearance, especially if they cannot even conceal with makeup.

Melasma is one of the more challenging pigmentations to treat since the causes are a complex interplay of factors including age, genetic, hormonal, vascular, and sun exposure.

Having said so, there are available effective treatment options that include topical lightening creams, chemical peels, oral medications and pigmentation lasers. Sun protection measures are equally as important as well. Thus you may not even need lasers treatments.

In my years of practice treating many patients with various types of pigmentations and difficult melasma, I can say to you is that melasma can still be treated quite well with good results.

So Lizlee, I would recommend you to speak to an experienced doctor whom you are comfortable with to first verify on the type of pigmentation that you are having and the most suitable treatment options for you.

For more information on the treatments of melasma, you can read more about them in my "Ultimate Guide to Pigmentation Treatment in Singapore".

Cheers!

Dr David Ng C H

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

The Complete Guide To Seeing A Dermatologist In Singapore (2020)

I'm writing this post because "recommend me a good dermatologist in Singapore" is one of the questions I'm most often asked by friends -  Now I can just direct them to this post.

A dermatologist is a medical doctor with specialist training who treats diseases of the nails, hair, and skin. In Singapore, dermatology is considered a medical specialty, and only doctors certified as dermatologists by the Ministry of Health are recognised as such.

This post explains in detail how to find a suitable dermatologist for your condition and treatment needs in Singapore.

Ask Dr Justin Boey: Lasers And Pigmentation

Good news: Your pigmentation concerns are most likely not permanent! Dr Justin Boey answered reader questions on how to get rid of those pesky pigmentation spots.

Lasers Aren't The Only Treatment For Pigmentation: A Doctor Shares His Insights

Skin pigmentation is the bane of crystal clear skin! Those who have experienced it (some of them still continue to live it) are definitely well acquainted with its confidence-killing powers.

Fortunately, Dr Justin Boey has dedicated his practice to wage war on these pesky spots. He has helped many patients restore their confidence by resolving their pigmentation problems! 

He was invited to host a DoctorxDentist session on lasers & pigmentation to share his expert opinions with the DoctorxDentist community. From tips on melasma treatment to pigment marks caused by acne, these are his pearls of wisdom.

Broken Blood Vessels On The Face: A Medical Doctor’s Tips On Their Management
The Complete Guide to Anti-Ageing Treatments in Singapore (2020)

As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity. Exposure with UV rays speeds up the ageing process. In order to have healthy and nourished looking skin, supplementary treatments have become a necessity. There is now a wide variety of treatments available for you to try. These range from creams and non-invasive facial treatments, to highly invasive surgical procedures. 

In the course of my career as an aesthetic doctor for over 10 years, I have done countless anti-ageing treatments. Therefore, I will explain all you need to know about ageing skin- from the symptoms, skin treatments that delay the ageing process, the do’s and don'ts, as well as the cost of the treatments and procedures that you might be interested in trying.