How much does breast reduction cost in Singapore, and when is it deemed to be a medical necessity?

Plastic Surgery Singapore Healthcare

What is the cost range for breast reduction surgery in Singapore, and what affects these costs? When is breast reduction deemed to be a medical necessity? (I understand that the procedure can sometimes be claimed under insurance if it is deemed to be a medical necessity).  

Dear furnwaeh,

Thank you for your question!

Breast reduction is a procedure done not only to reduce the size of the breasts but also to lift them, in which case it is termed a reduction mastopexy. Typical symptoms that would indicate a medical need for this procedure are:

• Upper back and neck pain
  • Bra strap grooving
  • Skin irritation and infections in the breast folds
  • Rapidly increasing size
  • Severe asymmetry
  • Social embarrassment

Locally, the definitive criteria for breast reduction to qualify for Medisave/insurance claim is a removal weight of more than 250gm per side or 500gm in total. I can often estimate the removal volume and advise my patients accordingly.

Aspects that are discussed with my patients include the scars on the breast, the risk to nipple-areolar sensation and survival, haematomas (blood clots) in the breast and future breastfeeding concerns. I typically perform a vertical short scar reduction mastopexy which leaves a circular scar around the new smaller areolar and a vertical scar extending downwards of variable length.

Surgical fees for this typically start from $12,888. It is a 3 to 5 hour surgery under general anaesthesia. Most of my patients are able to go home on the same day (day surgery) without the need for drainage tubes. Main factors affecting cost would be the size and complexity of the reduction as this affects the surgery duration, which would impact on the operating theatre and anaesthetist costs.

I hope this answers your queries!

Best Regards,

Dr Samuel Ho

0 370 views 15 Nov 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Plastic Surgery Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.