How soon can one remove a new tattoo? (photo)

Skin, Hair & Nails

I have a freshly inked tattoo that didn't come out the way I hoped. I desperately want the tattoo gone. How long do I have to wait before starting laser tattoo removal, and is it easier to remove a new tattoo or an old one? Thank you.

Hi Jie Sheng, 

Your skin needs time to heal. Attempting to remove a tattoo whilst it is still healing only increases your chance of scarring. I advise all my patients to wait at least 4 weeks before going for treatment.

In my experience, tattoos that are less than a year old are much harder to remove when compared with a tattoo that has been there 10 years. Your body tries to get rid of the ink as soon as you get it.

Older tattoos means that your body has had more time to remove when compared to a fresh tattoo. This usually translates to fewer sessions required for older tattoos when compared to newer tattoos.

Dr Kevin Chua
MBBS, GDFM

Dr Kevin Chua Medical & Aesthetics

360 Orchard Road,

International Building #03-05,

966 views 24 Aug 2018

First, you must wait at least two weeks before removing your tattoo. Tattoos damage your skin and you need time to heal. The good news is that black ink is the easiest to remove, particularly with the highly effective PicoWay laser.

The less-good news is that tattoo-removal is a lengthy process. Count on multiple sessions with a month or two between each one. Consulting with a board-certified dermatologist will get you a better idea of how much time it’ll take.

Dr Chua Cheng Yu
MBBS, MRCS

Veritas Medical Aesthetics

13 Stamford Road #B2-36/37, Capitol Piazza Singapore 178905

594 views 20 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.