How to work overseas with a NUS MBBS degree?

Doctor's Answers (2)


In a nutshell, it’s not impossible, but very very difficult for you to work abroad as an NUS grad.

1. Unless you are prepared to pay a massive amount, you are bonded to NUS.

2. Most people use their bonded period to train or take up residency, so you are stuck further.

3. Your degree and residency is not recognised anywhere else in the world, apart from NZ.

4. In other words, you have to take USA exams etc. Ie USMLE.

As far as I’m aware, only NZ recognises NUS without further exams. Possibly Australia too, but getting in now is tough.

5. Taiwan is one of the few countries where they work longer and are paid less than SG – so not sure if you want to go that route!


Well you can consider taking some post-grad qualifications. Usually most countries will require you to take an examination anyhow to prove your competency, and yes, NZ allows Singapore graduates to work there (have friends who went there and are having a blast).

MRCP, MRCEM, MRCS etc can be used for purpose of PLAB registration in the UK, so you can always consider that route.

Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp