Is it advisable to remove the milk teeth in a child to enable the adult tooth to grow out properly?

Dental Children’s Health Paediatric Dentistry

I would like to get advise with regards to my eight year old son’s teeth.

None of his milk teeth has yet to drop. However, we can see the adult tooth coming through behind the set of the milk teeth at the lower front.  Is it advisable to remove the milk teeth to enable the adult tooth to grow out properly? Or is it alright to wait for the milk teeth to fall out by itself.

Thank you.

Thank you for your question.

I would say that your child probably has a generalised delayed tooth eruption, but there is nothing to worry about for now yet. It’s a good sign that his lower front teeth have began to erupt!

“Is it advisable to remove the milk teeth to enable the adult tooth to grow out properly? Or is it alright to wait for the milk teeth to fall out by itself.”

The lower adult teeth erupts naturally at a position behind that of the baby teeth. I assume based on your description that the adult teeth is just peeking through the gums (i.e. it has just erupted very sightly)?

If the baby teeth is already starting to shake, I would advise leaving them alone for natural exfoliation. It would not affect the eruption of the adult tooth. You could hasten the exfoliation of the baby teeth by asking your child to shake his tooth daily with his fingers or to push at them with his tongue.

However, if the adult teeth erupts through further and the baby teeth is still very very firm, extraction may be considered.

He can also have a check with the dentist in his primary school for further advise.

Dr Joanne Lam
BDS

BALESTIER DENTAL SURGERY
10 WHAMPOA DRIVE

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Children’s Health Paediatric Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.