Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

Is laser treatment effective for getting rid of small and skin-coloured bumps on my skin? (photo)

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed2,385 times

These bumps are quite common. The photo is not very clear but they appear to be flat warts. These may spread if you scratch or pick at them. Warts are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. These are usually spread by direct contact. There are many strains of the virus and most are harmless.

The solution is to either use electro cautery or a carbon dioxide laser to burn them off. The treatment is relatively painless when treated with numbing cream.

The other differential diagnosis are closed comedones, otherwise known as white heads. This occurs when the pores are blocked and the oily sebum that is secreted is trapped. Retinoid creams such as adapalene, a second generation retinoid cream, can be used to break down the trapped sebum and clear the dead skin cells from the skin's surface.

I suggest a closer examination first before proceeding with your treatment.

Most of the bumps on your picture appear to be little keratotic growths of the skin.

These are indeed effectively removed by lasers which can carefully singe them off. Other growths, such as sebaceous hyperplasia, syringomas, milia seeds, etc can also be effectively removed with the appropriate lasers.

These growths aren't caused by clogged pores; they're usually due to age, UV exposure, or just regular overgrowth of certain components of the skin.

Exfoliation and acidic toners/retins can help to reduce the occurrence of these growths but will not get rid of the existing ones.

Cheers!

Shane

Thank you for your question. 

As my colleagues have expertly explained, it is difficult to assess from the pictures. Ideally, we assess your skin growths under lighting in a 3D manner. 

Differentials include:

1. Milia

2. Keratin plugs

These can be easily treated with 

1. C02 laser

2. Surgitron 

3. Cryotherapy

Good skincare is essential. 

I would recommend

1. sunscreen twice daily

2. AHA exfoliants

3. retinoids twice a week

These would help to increase cell turnover and reduce the accumulation of keratin plugs. 

I hope this helps.

Dr Daniel Chang

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

10 Reasons Why You Have Adult Acne and What You Can Do About It

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

“I have acne and I’m in my 30s. Is that even possible?”

Yes! It is possible to get acne even when you’ve reached adulthood. In fact, it is possible for you to not have acne during your teen years and then suddenly develop it during adulthood.

Read on to find out some of the causes of adult acne and how you can treat it.

Aesthetics Doctor Discusses 4 Laser Treatments for Your Rosacea Woes

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

There are many possible reasons why you have a red-face: dermatitis, skin irritation, allergic reactions to food or medication etc. Sometimes it is nothing serious and temporary -- you can simply brush it off till you recover over a few days. However, there are times your red-face is here to stay.

I am Dr Chin Yee Choong, medical director at DermClear Aesthetic & Laser Clinic. In this article, you will read about what rosacea is, how it occurs and 4 lasers that doctors use to treat the red face symptom. I will also share briefly about a bonus treatment for rosacea.

I hope this will help you to arrive at a treatment to regain your complexion!

The Complete Guide to Anti-Ageing Treatments in Singapore (2020)

As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity. Exposure with UV rays speeds up the ageing process. In order to have healthy and nourished looking skin, supplementary treatments have become a necessity. There is now a wide variety of treatments available for you to try. These range from creams and non-invasive facial treatments, to highly invasive surgical procedures. 

In the course of my career as an aesthetic doctor for over 10 years, I have done countless anti-ageing treatments. Therefore, I will explain all you need to know about ageing skin- from the symptoms, skin treatments that delay the ageing process, the do’s and don'ts, as well as the cost of the treatments and procedures that you might be interested in trying. 

Dermal Fillers in Singapore: The Tell-All Guide by An Aesthetic Doctor (2020)

Dermal filler has become a staple in medical aesthetic clinics; it is no longer a novelty for people to have filler injected to refresh their looks or enhance their facial features. What kinds of dermal fillers are there? How much do they cost? What are their side effects? Let me guide you through finding the right Dermal Filler for you.

The Ultimate Guide to Thermage vs Ultherapy vs HIFU in Singapore (2020)

Who does not want youthful and beautiful skin? This idea has led to the beauty industry delivering a wide variety of aesthetic treatments to help make these fantasies a reality.

In the past, cosmetic improvements often require intensive, intrusive surgery with lengthy periods of recovery. Today, there are alternatives if you do not want to undergo invasive surgery

Through this article, I will share you the comparison between treatments like:

• Thermage
  • Ultherapy
  • HIFU