S from Singapore asked a question

Is Rejuran effective for treating rolling acne scars permanently?

One doctor I approached suggested a mixture of fractional laser and Rejuran for my rolling acne scars. Is Rejuran really necessary for a permanent treatment of rolling scars? 

Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan
Aesthetic
Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan
Aesthetic
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 05:00:14 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi S, 

Rejuran should be considered a supplement to lasers for scar treatment (as opposed to a treatment method on its own); it theoretically provides a more optimal biological framework for wound healing and hence scar remodelling. 

It is not necessary, and scar treatment with fractional lasers alone can produce a good 50-70% improvement of atrophic scars. 

It can, however, make the healing better and/or faster. Such an investment can be wise to maximise your time and money spent on the fractional laser sessions. 

Other techniques can be combined, including subscision and subdermal filler placement. 

There is no one stop solution, and a combination of treatments tend to produce a better end result in the long run. 

Hope this helps.

0 624 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 05:00:14 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Winston Lee
Aesthetic
Dr Winston Lee
Aesthetic
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 06:46:04 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Well I would say that rolling scars need the gold standard of subcision and some fillers placement. Subcision without fillers has at least a 50% chance of recurrence and scar reattachment. With fillers some doctors feel that the risk drops drastically with a range of figures 10-20%.

If you research, subcision for rolling scars works wonderfully. It alone will improve rolling scars 70-80% and more if a collagen stimulator like Radiesse. Followed by fractional laser 2-4 times for collagen stimulation and kiv some ablative mode.

Rejuran or PN has been a buzzword. However studies showed it's effects is in cellular renewal, wound healing, pigmentation. The use of it for subcision would be less practical as it is readily absorbed and the impediment to scars reattachment is poor.

So no I would caution against the hype of it being a magical panacea for atrophic or rolling scars.

And yes I love subcision however laborious it is!

Winston Lee

0 611 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 06:46:04 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Jiwei Wu
Aesthetic
Dr Jiwei Wu
Aesthetic
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 07:24:17 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hello S

Thank you for your question. I fully agree with what Dr Shane has mentioned. 

Rejuran Healer is made from salmon extract and contains polynucleotide (PN) which is known to help with wound healing. It can be used as a wonderful supplement to acne scar treatment due to its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. To get the best result from Rejuran Healer treatment, it is usually done 3 to 4 times with a interval of 3 to 4 weeks. It can be repeated 1 to 2 times a year after that as a maintenance. 

There are many different types of acne scars and usually a combination approach will be required to deal with moderate to severe acne scars. For rolling scars, I will generally combine needle subcision with fractional carbon dioxide (CO2) laser treatment. Rejuran Healer can be done in between laser sessions. You can also consider microneedling fractional radiofrequency device such as Infini RF or fractional erbium laser if you want a shorter downtime instead of fractional CO2 laser. You may experience mild swelling, redness or bruising after Rejuran treatment. These are usually temporary and should go away in 1 to 2 days. 

In my opinion, Rejuran Healer is effective in treating rolling acne scars permanently if you combine it with other treatments as mentioned above. 

Do consider it if you have the budget!

0 607 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 07:24:17 GMT+0000 (UTC)