Should I see a skin doctor for cystic acne on my cheek, or can I use OTC products?

Doctor's Answers (2)

Sorry to hear about your acne flare.

If the acne is mild eg. just a few small red bumps, over the counter acne creams or benzoyl peroide may be able to control it.

If the acne bumps are large and painful, particulary if they are cystic, I would suggest seeing a dermatologist or doctor as it may require prescribed medication like topical antibiotic gels or even oral antibiotics or isotretinoin for control, as cysts in general respond less well to topical treatment alone.

Hope it gets better soon.

Cystic acne happens when an infection/inflammatory process goes deep into your skin. If a cyst bursts, the infection can spread, causing more breakouts.

By definition, cystic acne tends to scar.

Hence if your cystic acne looks very red, angry and inflamed like that 2 big zits on the chin:

It’s best to nip it in the bud early by seeing a dermatologist/doctor for effective treatment.


Quote RequestWhatsapp