Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

How do I tell if someone has mania?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed241 times

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Mania is a form of mood disorder. The main feature of mania is the elevation of mood, where the individual is noted to be high or irritable. The features of mania are best captured in the mnemonic: DIGFAST.

• D stands for Distractability, where the person is poorly focused, multi-tasking
  • I stands for Indiscretion (excessive pleasure-seeking). This can be something sexual, financial (e.g., going on a spending spree), travel, driving (speeding, driving without a license)
  • G for Grandiosity, where there is inflated self-esteem
  • F for Flight of ideas, due to racing thoughts
  • A for Activities, increased goal-directed behaviour
  • S for Sleep deficits, decreased need for sleep
  • T for Talkativeness, pressured speech, which is hard to interrupt

The person with mania would appear to have an elevated mood, talk fast and non-stop, and would jump from topic to topic. He may have beliefs of grandiosity, like thinking that he is somebody special or important. Sometimes, they will do strange things like directing traffic or giving away their money.

They need to have the symptoms for at least 1 week to fulfil the duration criterion for a manic episode. The symptoms are usually severe enough to cause a disturbance in their lives and affect their functioning (school, family or work).

Drug use needs to be excluded before a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder Type 1 is established. In terms of treatment, the mainstay of treatment will be medications (mood stabilisers).

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Mania, known as manic syndrome, is a syndrome whereby the person will have abnormal elevated arousal, affect and exceptionally boundless energy. It can also include various times of great excitement, delusion and euphoria. Mania is a symptom that has various mental health conditions e.g. bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder and so on. 
Imagine someone who talks fast, walks fast, cannot sit still and doesn't require any sleep. At regular times, it can come together with crazy spending habits or sexual habits.

This condition can be quite serious and should be seen by a GP with special interest in mental health or psychiatrist early.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

Filler Lifts Vs Threadlifts In Singapore: Cost And Comparison (2020)

Lunchtime rejuvenation procedures are fast gaining popularity amongst Singaporeans in recent years. These procedures are dubbed as "lunchtime procedures" because they take very little time to perform and do not have any recovery period.

Most of the time, you will be able to see improvements in just a short period of time and return to your daily routine immediately.

I often get patients asking me if a filler lift or a threadlift is better. In my opinion, both are good and effective if done properly and for the correct indications. In some cases, one or the other may be more preferable.

Therefore, I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are keen on getting fillers or thread lifts to improve the signs of ageing. In this post, I will explain in detail the differences and how to choose the most suitable one for yourself. 

Botox VS Dermal Fillers: All You Need To Know About The 2 Alternatives To Non-surgical Facelifts

Over the years, people have known Botox and dermal fillers as relatively simple solutions to improve features as well as to attain desirable facial aesthetics. While both are given through injections and are minimally invasive, they do have their fair share of differences. I hope that through this article, it will help you to understand more about these two treatments.

The Ultimate Guide to Dark Eye Circle Treatments in Singapore (2020)

Dark eye circles are a huge concern to a lot of people. That is true for both students and working professionals. They are not much of a health problem but its appearance can be quite bothersome.

Dark eye circles can make you look tired and unmotivated. On top of that, they do not go away easily. That can be a huge problem if your job requires you to meet with clients.

Although most people think that lack of sleep is the main cause of dark circles, there are actually many more determining factors. Those factors are important in determining the most effective way to treat them.

I wrote this article to help you with your research. Read on to find out more!

The Ultimate Guide to Filler Complications in Singapore (2020)

Dermal fillers, or just fillers, are one of the most popular minimally invasive aesthetic treatment out there. Getting dermal fillers is generally safe, however, there are still potential side effects that may occur, as with any medical treatment, and they can be temporary or long-term.

I am Dr Shane Tan, an aesthetic doctor at The Aesthetic Loft Clinic. In this article, I categorise dermal fillers into Hyaluronic acid (HA) and non-HA types, explain how they work and the possible complications each may cause. I will also talk about how you can respond to them if they happen.

Dermal Fillers in Singapore: The Tell-All Guide by An Aesthetic Doctor (2020)

Dermal filler has become a staple in medical aesthetic clinics; it is no longer a novelty for people to have filler injected to refresh their looks or enhance their facial features. What kinds of dermal fillers are there? How much do they cost? What are their side effects? Let me guide you through finding the right Dermal Filler for you.