Is it possible to suffer from anxiety without feeling anxious?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed415 times

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

A person with anxiety may experience bodily symptoms of anxiety without experiencing the psychological ones. He is so used to feeling anxious that he accepts it as part of his lifestyle or personality, whereas the body still reacts to the stressful aspects of his life and hence he still has bodily discomfort. 

woman with anxiety

Anxiety can manifest in many ways and it can certainly show up in the form of physical symptoms. Below is a list of the physical symptoms of anxiety:

• Stomach pain, nausea, or digestive trouble
  • Headache
  • Insomnia or other sleep issues (waking up frequently, for example)
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Rapid breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pounding heart or increased heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Muscle tension or pain

Some people might have more cognitive or emotional symptoms of anxiety, others might have predominantly physical symptoms. Common physical symptoms of anxiety include chest pain or palpitations, a racing heart, gastrointestinal issues, light-headedness, dizziness, shortness of breath, and hyperventilation.

Dyspepsia, a gastrointestinal disorder linked to anxiety that causes pain in the upper stomach and a feeling of being full prematurely. It has always been difficult for people with anxiety to eat when they are nervous. Anxiety seems to be able to interfere with motor function of the stomach. Normally when a person starts eating, the proximal stomach is going to relax so the stomach can act as a reservoir to accommodate all the incoming food. But for some people with anxiety, this relaxation does not happen as it should.

Anxiety can also exacerbate the sensitivity of an already delicate stomach.

Anxiety, the body’s response to stress, is how the body alerts a person to threats and helps him get ready to deal with the challenges. This is called the fight-or-flight response. Tensed muscles may prepare a person to get away from danger quickly, but muscles that are constantly tense can result in pain, tension headaches and migraines.

The hormones adrenaline and cortisol are responsible for increased heartbeat and breathing, which can help when facing a threat. But these hormones also affect digestion and blood sugar.

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Your question is very meta. The best answer I can give you might be very meta as well. 

I have to guess what you mean. If you mean can you have anxiety disorder without having anxiety symptoms like fast heartbeat or other symptoms, then I suppose that is possible.

Anxiety disorder is a large group of disorders that can encompass even obsessive-compulsive disorder, which technically only gets anxious as a result of the OCD.

So yeah, in short, anything is possible. If in doubt, consult a trained psychiatric specialist.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

How Mindful Breathing Helps Reduce Stress

Bet your bottom dollar you didn’t know this, but stress is one of the biggest risk factors for gum disease progression! It can exacerbate gum disease suddenly and cause your teeth to shake. And sadly, I have concluded that no one is spared from the effects of stress.

From the rich to the poor, from the young to the old, from the educated to the illiterate. Stress affects everyone, but the ones that remain healthy and unaffected by stress are the ones that have learned to cope with it.

The Complete Guide to Acupuncture in Singapore (2020)

Acupuncture is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice that can be traced back to at least 2,500 years ago. Over the last few years, this method of treatment has received growing interest in Singapore. 

More medical professionals (i.e. doctors and dentists) are now becoming accredited acupuncturists. As an experienced TCM physician who has a special interest in performing acupuncture treatments, I’m writing this post to help you understand how it all works.

I hope this post will help to shed some light for those of you who are interested in going for acupuncture treatments.

It covers important points that my patients, friends, as well as family often ask me about, such as: 

• How does acupuncture work?
  • The cost of TCM acupuncture treatment in Singapore
  • How to find a trusted TCM clinic for acupuncture treatment in Singapore
The Best Tips From A Singaporean Psychiatrist On How To Take Care Of Your Mental Health

Mental health is more than just a diagnosis. It doesn't only refer to psychiatric or psychological disorders that require actual medical attention. 

It's about your overall mental health—how you feel about yourself, your ability to manage your emotions, and navigate whatever is going on in your life. 

Sometimes, you might find yourself stuck in negative thoughts due to difficult moments in your life. A 21-year-old reader asked a question on DxD's QnA platform, seeking advice on what he should do to improve his emotional health.

Dr Ng Beng Yeong, DxD's resident psychiatrist offered some pearls of wisdom on how you can reclaim your true self in the face of such challenges. 

Feeling Down, Out And Hopeless? Finding Your Way Out Of Depression

Do you know that one of the most common mental illnesses in Singapore is Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), commonly known as depression? It can happen to anyone from all walks of life. The most affected ones are usually young adults and the elderly.

Setting Boundaries To Protect Your Mental Health From COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to drastic changes globally, jeopardising our physical health and mental health. Many countries are under lockdown and for countries that are not, many citizens are working from home or serving quarantine, if necessary. An analysis of the impact of quarantine on mental health that came out in March posits that it could increase anger, boredom, confusion, and some post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in the long-term.

With more people being asked to work from home, many are overwhelmed while adjusting to a vastly different working style and lifestyle. How do we make an arrangement at home or at the workplace with minimal disturbance to our lives? How do we manage the anxiety and stress related to our health, the economy, and our future?