Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

What are effective treatments to remove fat under the chin? (photo)

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed277 times

"Plastic Surgeon at AZATACA Plastic Surgery"

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo. 

There are many options for removing fat and sculpting the chin. They include facial massage, injections to dissolve fat, cryolipolysis, and liposuction. Some methods are effective whilst others may not be.

Cryolipolysis is a method of fat removal by freezing of the fat cells using the application of a handpiece to cool the tissue to sub-zero temperatures (between -11 to +5 °C). This is a non-invasive technique that allows localised reduction of fat deposits. One or more sessions may be required to get the desired outcomes. 

Liposuction is my preferred method for removal of fat in the submental area (chin) as it allows precise removal of the fat deposits along the jawline and can flatten the chin area. It is the quickest method with the most dramatic results without doubt. Some people call this micro-liposuction because of the small size of the special cannulas that are used so that the procedure is less traumatic and more precise. For small volume liposuction, the procedure can be done under locall anaesthesia. The procedure is relatively pain-free and quick and the results can be long-lasting if you can maintain a consistent weight. 

However, this procedure is not for everyone. Chin liposuction is a surgical procedure so it carries certain risks and recovery time. Good skin elasticity is essential to avoid sagging after the fat is removed. You will need to wear a chin strap after the procedure to reduce swelling. It does cost more than fat dissolution injections and cryolipolysis if you are comparing single treatments for each. However, most patients do rate this procedure to be more effective in achieving the desired results.

Hope this answers your question. 

Have a great week ahead!

Dr. Terence Goh

Plastic Surgeon | AZATACA Plastic Surgery

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

Ask Dr Lim Ming Yee: Face Sculpting

Aging is something that cannot be controlled. Over the course of the aging process, tissues such as skin, fat, muscles, and even bone go through different rates of degeneration. These changes can result in wrinkles, saggy jowls, eyebags, flat cheeks, and weak chins.

Plastic surgery is not the only way to combat the signs of aging. Face sculpting - that includes dermal fillers, HIFU treatments, laser resurfacing and threadlifting - are non-surgical means of reducing signs of aging too.

Tummy Tuck: Your Guide To Getting An Abdominoplasty In Singapore

Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is one of the most well-known cosmetic surgical procedures in Singapore and around the world. You might have heard it mentioned in the media, in advertisements, and even in films. That said, do you know that a tummy tuck does so much more than just removing fat?

As a plastic surgeon, I have received a lot of questions about abdominoplasty. I am writing this article to help you understand everything there is to know about getting a tummy tuck in Singapore. Read on to find out more about the methods, costs, and also the factors to consider before getting a tummy tuck.

The Ultimate Guide to Filler Complications in Singapore (2020)

Dermal fillers, or just fillers, are one of the most popular minimally invasive aesthetic treatment out there. Getting dermal fillers is generally safe, however, there are still potential side effects that may occur, as with any medical treatment, and they can be temporary or long-term.

I am Dr Shane Tan, an aesthetic doctor at The Aesthetic Loft Clinic. In this article, I categorise dermal fillers into Hyaluronic acid (HA) and non-HA types, explain how they work and the possible complications each may cause. I will also talk about how you can respond to them if they happen.

The Complete Guide to Anti-Ageing Treatments in Singapore (2020)

As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity. Exposure with UV rays speeds up the ageing process. In order to have healthy and nourished looking skin, supplementary treatments have become a necessity. There is now a wide variety of treatments available for you to try. These range from creams and non-invasive facial treatments, to highly invasive surgical procedures. 

In the course of my career as an aesthetic doctor for over 10 years, I have done countless anti-ageing treatments. Therefore, I will explain all you need to know about ageing skin- from the symptoms, skin treatments that delay the ageing process, the do’s and don'ts, as well as the cost of the treatments and procedures that you might be interested in trying. 

The Ultimate Guide to HIFU Treatment in Singapore (2020)

Although not everyone experiences pigmentation or acne throughout their lives, everyone will experience sagging skin. Therefore, understanding facial sagging will help you in the long run. Because of increased demand for treatment of sagging skin, many devices and technologies have been created.

My experience as an aesthetic doctor says that many of these devices are based more on hype rather than reality. I have written this guide to help you find the best HIFU treatment in Singapore.

I have included the different brands of HIFU treatments, benefits, side effects, up to the cost for each HIFU treatment. I hope this article can help you decide which treatment that suits you!