What are my treatment options for severe hirsutism in Singapore?

I'm a 20 year old female. I've had severe hirsutism for a very long time, which I believe to be idiopathic as my menses is regular, and I do not have acne. My hirsutism became worse this year. I was wondering what treatment options I have for hirsutism in Singapore?

I'm sorry to hear that you have been troubled with hirsutism. In the first instance, we have to establish that it is just hirsutism or if there is virilization which is much more concerning. This includes hirsutism with other symptoms of excess testosterone such as shrinking of the breasts and deepening of the voice.

Evaluation is warranted to look for the cause of hirsutism so that we are able to treat the underlying cause. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is the commonest cause, accounting for about 70-80% of cases.

Other causes include excess steroid hormone production (this is also known as Cushing's syndrome, and is usually associated with weight gain and irregular periods), certain medications (for example medications to treat epilepsy), non-classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia (this is a milder form of a genetic disorder that can cause raised testosterone levels).

If there is no identifiable cause in women with normal male hormone levels and normal menstrual cycles, it is considered idiopathic hirsutism.

Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. If no cause is found and hirsutism is significant, treatment can be with medications (usually in the form of the oral contraceptive pill in the first instance) or direct hair removal methods such as laser therapy. 

I hope this helps. 
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Hormonal Conditions Women's Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.