What are some risks I should consider before getting liposuction?Plastic Surgery
Firstly, liposuction is a surgical procedure. Although it is performed through small incisions it is an invasive procedure that should be performed by qualified surgeons.
Every surgeon needs to tell you about the significant risks that may or may not happen, these include:
- Asymmetry: differences between one side of your body compared to the other side
- Contour irregularity: dimples in the skin may occur if the fat left behind is not uniform in thickness
- Infection: can happen in any surgical procedure
- Bleeding: can happen in any surgical procedure
- Bruising and swelling: Variable. The bruising will resolve in 2-3 weeks, swelling will take up to 6 months to fully resolve
- Perforation: If the cannula is directed incorrectly, internal organs can be damaged. This can be life-threatening if not recognised early.
Overall it is a very safe procedure with low risks, but it should be done for the right reasons in the right patients and by qualified surgeons.
Dr Christopher Chui
MOUNT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE
#06 - 48 Singapore 329563