What are the risks of going overseas for a hair transplant?

Skin, Hair & Nails Hair Loss

I suffer from male pattern baldness. I am considering to go to India or Turkey for my hair transplant, as I have read that it is a lot cheaper. May I know what are the risks of going for a hair transplant abroad? 

While I acknowledge that Turkey and India (as well as some other countries) do offer more affordable hair transplantation rates, do be aware that hair restoration surgery is, after all, a surgical procedure. 

All surgical procedures have risks involved - the common ones quoted are: bleeding, infection, prolonged healing time. If the procedure is performed under deep sedation, which is usually not the case, there could be an anaesthetic risk involved too - including heart and lung complications.

Another point to note is that while hair restoration has a quoted success rate of >90%, there are sometimes patients who do not achieve this success rate due to a myriad of confounding factors - poor post-operative care, poor technique, poor candidate selection etc. In which case, having the hair transplantation procedure done overseas may leave you with few avenues of recourse.

I implore you to consult the doctor performing the procedure for you and ask the following questions:

1. Who will be the person performing the procedure? Is it a doctor or technician?

2. What will the follow-up procedure be like? (In our centre, we follow up our patients at day 1 and day 7 post-operatively to ensure that the donor and recipient areas are healing well; then again at 1 month for growth factor infusions, and regular 3 month follow-ups by myself up to the 1 year mark)

3. What avenues are possible for recourse if there is a grossly unsatisfactory result?

I hope this helps.

Dr Joshua Chong

Dr Joshua Chong

Terra Medical Hair & Aesthetic Clinic

Terra Medical Hair & Aesthetic Clinic

9 Scotts Road, #11-03 Scotts Medical Centre

724 views 23 Jul 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Hair Loss or ask your own question now FOR FREE.