What consequences are there if I do not extract a wisdom tooth that is causing gum discomfort? (photo)

Dental Wisdom Teeth

I am a 26 years old female who has been experiencing gum discomfort now and then. I am wondering if my wisdom tooth needs to be extracted. What consequences are there if I do not extract the wisdom tooth that is causing gum discomfort? Attached is a X-ray that was taken a few years back. Looking forward to your helpful advice! Thank you!

When it comes to wisdom teeth where there are episodes of discomfort and pain, I am in favour of extracting them and here's why: 

1. Recurrent gum infection 

Based on your Xray, the lower wisdom teeth are quite upright. However due to the lack of space, they are still covered by the gum. What this means is that there will keep being off and on pain because when you bite and chew, the upper back molar would keep biting on the gum and after a while, cause gum inflammation also known as pericoronitis - ouch. 

Bacteria accumulation under the gums can cause quite a lot of discomfort and in some situations lead to more severe infections such as facial swellings and fever. 

2. Position of wisdom teeth

More often than not, even when wisdom teeth grow out straight, there is difficulty to clean and brush them so they end up getting decay over time. Maintenance and pristine oral hygiene is tough. 

Taking out wisdom teeth are not as bad as it seems in the right hands! There are ways to manage the pain, discomfort and swelling based on some wisdom teeth stories we tend to hear about. My advise would be to consider taking them out so that you get this out of the way and wont have to think about it once they are taken out since they dont grow back. Pick a dentist or oral surgeon that you are comfortable with, sedation is always an option if you prefer not to be fully conscious. 

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out should you have other concerns pertaining to your wisdom teeth! 

Dr Beth 

782 views 24 Jul 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Wisdom Teeth or ask your own question now FOR FREE.