There may be a few causes of a receding hairline in ladies.
1. There could be female pattern hair loss (FPHL) with an anterior pattern. (the term 'androgenetic alopecia' is a less favoured term for females by the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons) now.
2. Hair loss could be due to excessively tight ponytails causing hair follicles to be damaged by constant pulling force (mechanical traction force) - this is called traction alopecia
3. A scarring form of hair loss called frontal fibrosing alopecia.
** Other causes of hair loss common in ladies such as alopecia areata are less often seen on the hairline but still can happen.
The best option would be to visit a doctor familiar with diagnosing hair loss conditions. The diagnosis needs to be established by a thorough clinical history, scalp examination including trichodermascopic imaging (high magnification imaging) and possibly some blood tests.
Once the diagnosis is established, the treatment plan can be formulated - we use a logical and scientifically proven set of treatment targets: 1. STOP hair loss, 2. OPTIMIZE existing fine and thin hairs, 3. REPLACE the hair that has been completely lost.
Some possible treatment options include:
1. Regenera reactiva with some of the treatment targets being along the hairline to strengthen it. (note: this does not lower the hair line but just strengthens existing thin hair)
2. A hair transplant procedure to correct the hairline to aesthetic proportions to harmonize with your facial features.
3. Hair line embroidery (a form of semi-permanent makeup) to "camouflage" the areas of thinning.
4. There may be a possibility that if the diagnosis is indeed 'scarring alopecia' or 'frontal fibrosing alopecia', that treatment may be complex and may even a hair transplantation may not work now.
I hope this helps, and I wish you best of luck in seeking treatment for your hair woes.
Dr Joshua Chong
The best treatment for receding hairline/female pattern hair loss (FPHL) for women in Singapore are:
1. Regenera Activa - a minimally invasive regenerative medical treatment to strengthen your hair using micro-grafts extracted from your own scalp.
Price of Regenera Activa treatment in Singapore: from $3500/session.
2. FUE Hair Transplant to correct the hairline to harmonize with your facial features.
Price of FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) hair transplant in Singapore: $5-8/graft.
3. Hair Strengthening Supplements like Viviscal Professional.
Price of Viviscal Professional: from $50-$120 for 1 month supply.
4. Low Level Laser Therapy eg iGrow home device
Price of iGrow home device in Singapore: from $1000 with 1 year warranty.
As hair loss is a niche field, you should choose an aesthetic doctor or dermatologist who specialises in hair loss treatments. This is ensure accurate diagnosis of your hair loss.
Accurate diagnosis means accurate treatments, which will give you good results.
Speaking of the importance of accurate diagnosis, NOT all hair loss in ladies is due to female pattern hair loss.
Other common causes of hair loss in women include:
1. Traction alopecia - Hair loss could be due to excessively tight ponytails causing hair follicles to be damaged.
2. Telogen Effluvium - typically occurs due to stress.
The best option would be to visit a doctor familiar with diagnosing hair loss conditions.
An accurate diagnosis is established by a thorough clinical history, scalp examination including high magnification hair imaging and blood tests.
Once the diagnosis is established, an accurate treatment plan can be formulated to stop further hair loss and regrow fine and thin hairs.
I hope this helps!
Dr Justin Boey
The Ultimate Guide to Getting A Hair Transplant in Singapore (2020)
“Hair transplant Singapore” is one of the most Googled terms locally, with over 1,000 searches each month. It’s no coincidence that hair...READ MORE
Ultimate Guide To Regenera Activa: Hair Loss Treatment Without Surgery
Thinning hair stems from many reasons, and it can be distressing. Patients who come to me are eager to seek ways to reverse thinning hair. However,...READ MORE