What is the best treatment for pigmentation and depressed acne scars in Singapore? Do topical creams for acne scars work?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed2,204 times

With regards to your questions:

1) Acne scars

There are different types of acne scars and most of the time, patients often have a combination of scars.

A consultation / examination is key in determining the type of scars that you have and the treatment options relevant to those scars.

Treatment options available include:  subscision, fractional skin resurfacing, microneedle Radiofrequency, dermal fillers etc.

The redness associated with the scars can be improved with certain types of lasers.

2)  Pigmentation

There are many different types of pigmentation and an examination is once again required to determine what type of pigment you have as this will guide the treatment required.

There are several options available but in general, lightening creams and pigment lasers are commonly used.

Moles can be removed either by ablative lasers, cautery, surgery etc.

Hope that helps.

All the best!

1)acne scar with crater,

firstly, need to assess if the skin has healed well before a gentle subcision of the the crater scar. This is followed by a resurfacing, best by a fractional resurfacing laser. Otherwise a spot chemical peel will do well too. often multiple sessions will be needed for both laser and chemical peels.

2)pigmentation

it can be many types of pigmentation, from freckles to Post-inflammatory pigmentation(PIH) to moles. pigment laser work well for freckles, but there is down time for 3-5days. PIH can be treated with nonablative laser and creams. Moles can be treated with ablative laser after careful assessment by the doctor.

Thanks

Hello Jacqua,

1. Acne Scars

Unfortunately acne scars, once formed, are a pain to get rid off. So I always advise my patient to worry about preventing new acne first, before bothering with their acne scars.

I’ve pretty much covered all there is to know previously about preventing and treating acne, as well as treating acne scars (click on link).

All topical creams ARE VERY limited in their ability to treat/get rid of scars once they are formed. My personal favourite is retinoic acid, but that’s mainly useful for making your face less oily, preventing new acne, and reducing the PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, or the reddish/blue-purple discoloration left behind after a pimple pops). It has minimal effects on depressed scars that are already formed.

Some of the PIH (or redness) within the depressed scars will also fade on it’s own with time, typically at least 3-4 months later.

Hiruscar is not a cream that doctors use for acne scar treatment (or acne, for that matter). If you want to use a topical cream, you should use retinoic acid instead (available with a doctor’s prescription).

To get rid of your depressed scars, you will probably need some combination of fractional laser treatment and/or chemical peels/subcisions, depending on the severity and type of your acne scars.

2. Pigments

If they were left behind after a pimple went away, this is also probably due to PIH (see above).

All things considered, I think to properly have your acne scars assessed and treated, you need to see a doctor. In Singapore, you can seek out either a dermatologist, or an aesthetic doctor with an interest in treating acne scars.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

Treating Rolling Acne And Box Scars: A Doctor Shares Tips

Acne is not just a passing condition. Long after the acne is gone, scars in a variety of shapes and forms can emerge. Some common scar types experienced by patients include box and rolling acne scars. Fortunately, there are specific treatments and methods that can help improve the appearance of skin with box and rolling acne scars, which a DoctorxDentist reader asked about recently.

With expertise in threadlift procedures and acne scar treatments, Dr Ho Rui Ming serves as the medical director of M-Aesthetic Clinic. On DoctorxDentist, he shed light on the most effective ways to deal with acne scars. Here are our key takeaways.

These 3 Dermal Fillers Can Work For Acne Scars: An Aesthetic Doctor Discusses

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

Scar tissue can be hard to eradicate and clear off, especially in people with persistent acne problems. Treatments and products have flooded the Singapore market and various solutions for dealing with acne marks and scars can be confusing too. Fillers can be effective for facial sculpting, but how well do they actually work for scarring?

Dr Chin Yee Choong is the medical director of Dermclear Aesthetic & Laser Clinic. 
He responded to a couple of DoctorxDentist reader questions about the differences between the many fillers available in Singapore, and whether or not they are effective solutions for scars. Here is his advice.

Let's Talk about Laser Resurfacing: Breezing Through The Recovery Stage

Laser resurfacing has been a popular and effective scar removal method for some time now. Many people opt for this treatment due to consistent and positive results that have been produced so far. However, there are a few things that patients need to know about managing the skin's condition after this procedure.

Dr Justin Boey is passionate about facial aesthetics and hair loss. He shared some insight with DoctorxDentist readers on how to better manage the recovery process after laser resurfacing. Here are several key takeaways.

The Ultimate Guide to Aesthetic Clinics in Singapore (2020)

You may have searched online and may have found aesthetic clinics, but your search did not return any aesthetic doctors in Singapore. Do you wonder why? How can you choose an aesthetic clinic among all the others? Are they all the same or very similar?