Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

What should I do after a cystic acne flattens out? How do I know if it is completely gone?

Acne & Scars

I had a painful cystic acne on my shoulders around 2 months back, which has already deflated by now. However, currently the area still appears bruised, and hurts if pressure is applied. When I press down on it, I could feel a soft lump which rolls about. Is that the remaining pus/blood in the cystic acne? Do I wait out for it to heal on its own, or visit a GP or a polyclinic for a drainage? Since it only hurts when pressure is applied, it does not irritate me much except for its unsightliness.

Thank you for your question. A skin cyst or nodule is classified based on the content of the lesion.

If you don’t have acne on your face or back, it is less likely the 2 cysts are cystic acne.

From what you have described earlier, the remaining cyst content is soft, and doesn’t resolve after 2 months.

My top suspicion would be an epidermal cyst. Epidermal cysts are benign and often found on the trunk, head and neck. They contain smelly sebaceous and keratin materials, and can cause acute inflammation when they are irritated.

Regardless of the cyst content, 2 things you can do now.

1. If the residual cyst is small —> Wait and see. Take antibiotics, and wait for it to go away (less likely), or wait for the cyst to burst.
  2. If the residual cyst is big —>Take it out. Some GPs do lumps and bumps excision. They will refer you to hospital if they are unable to excise it.

Dr Lim Ming Yee
MBBS

MY Medical Aesthetics

MY Medical Aesthetics

108 Middle Road #03-03/04
Bernhard Schulte House Singapore 188967

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.