smurfymomo from Singapore asked a question

What should I do next if I have mandibular tori?

I recently discovered that I had mandibular tori while brushing my teeth. I'm not sure how long it has been there for. If I need treatment and consultation for mandibular tori, should I visit a normal dentist or a Periodontist?

Dr Ho Kok Sen
Oral Surgeon
Dr Ho Kok Sen
Oral Surgeon
Answered on Tue Jun 05 2018 08:21:00 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Removal of mandibular tori falls under the dental specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 

Mandibular tori are bony growths in the mouth. It is not clear what causes them but are associated with hereditary factors and bruxism/teeth grinding & clinching. 

Generally, this condition does not cause any serious issues. However, if it causes any discomfort or is affecting your speech, then you are recommended to see an oral surgeon for a thorough dental examination. 

The oral surgeon will examine your condition clinically and radiographically to advise if surgery is needed to remove the bone(s).

Removal of mandibular tori is a surgical process which can be done under local anaesthesia or intravenous sedation.

The latter is commonly opted by patients who are nervous about dental treatments. It is carried out with a medical anaesthetist in attendance during the entire procedure. Your heart rate, oxygen level and blood pressure will be monitored continuously to ensure your safety. While under sedation, you will be asleep and unaware when the surgical process is taking place.

Best regards,

Dr Ho Kok Sen

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

0 139 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Jun 05 2018 08:21:00 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Gerald Tan
Dentist
Dr Gerald Tan
Dentist
Answered on Tue Jun 05 2018 15:50:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Smurfymomo88 oz,

Dr Ho Kok Sen has answered very well and I will now attempt to add my 2 cents worth.

Tori or bony exostoses can occur not only in the mandible but also in the maxilla. The vast majority of tori are harmless , benign and do not give any problems whatsoever. In most cases, no treatment is needed at all.

However if they are a concern to you and if you prefer to have it looked at, you may consider going to a experienced general dental surgeon, a specialist oral & maxillofacial surgeon or a specialist periodontist.

If the torus is small and if your case is not complex, you may consider having it removed by an experienced general dental surgeon.

If the tori are extensive, large and complex, you may consider having them removed by a specialist.

If you are not sure if your case is easy or complex, it is not unreasonable for you to consider having a screening done by a experienced general dental surgeon first, to find out if there is any real indication for having the tori removed in your case.

However, there is also nothing wrong with consulting a specialist from the beginning.

The autonomy of choice is yours and i hope this information is useful to you!

I wish you all the best in finding either a general dental surgeon or a dental specialist that you trust and have rapport with.

Here is a useful link to read up more about mandibular tori.

Kind Regards,

Dr Gerald Tan

0 128 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Jun 05 2018 15:50:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)