What should I do next if I still get dyspepsia after H Pylori treatment?

Gastroenterology

I experience a burning sensation in my stomach when I'm hungry, and occasional bloating/upper abdominal cramps after eating. I have also gone through 9 weeks of PPI therapy. However, the symptoms are still present, and they become worse once I stop the medications. Can dyspepsia be caused by H Pylori bacteria infection? What should I do next?

The burning sensation you experienced is likely related to the acid production in your stomach. Although a trial of treatment with PPI is a very common practice, symptoms which persist should always call for further attention and perhaps a proper review and reevaluation.

Besides H pylori infection, gastric and duodenal ulcers or gastric growth may also present with similar symptoms. Other conditions such as gallbladder stones and pancreas problem can mimic gastric pain from time to time. A such, it may be more prudent to ensure no serious problem is brewing.

May I suggest for you to seek help from a gastroenterologist so that he or she can help to evaluate your problem further to recommend the next course of action. Best regards.

- Dr Quan

Dr Quan Wai Leong
MBBS, MRCP, FRCP, FAMS

Gastroenterology and Hepatology, GI Endoscopy and Liver Centre @Royal Square
101 IRRAWADDY ROAD
ROYAL SQUARE
#15 - 01 Singapore 329565

Helicobacter pylori is a spiral shaped bacterium that lives in the stomach.  It is now known to be associated with gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcers, and stomach cancers. Common complaints include pain or discomfort (usually in the upper abdomen), bloating, feeling full after meals, lack of appetite, nausea, vomiting.

In other patients it may stay in the stomach without causing any symptoms. We recommend eradication of Helicobacter pylori by medication.

The check for Helicobacter pylori after treatment is done by urea breath test. If symptoms persist after successful eradication of Helicobacter pylori, the reason for indigestion and dyspepsia need to be re-evaluated. 

Dr Andrea Rajnakova

Andrea's Digestive, Colon, Liver And Gallbladder Clinic
101 IRRAWADDY ROAD
ROYAL SQUARE AT NOVENA
#21 - 11/12 Singapore 329565

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gastroenterology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.