Jol from Singapore asked a question

What should I look out for in choosing an aesthetic clinic in Singapore?

Hello! I am interested in skin treatments such as chemical peels and laser treatments. I'm currently studying in university and will have to pay for these treatments myself, so price is a consideration. I see girls at school with clear skin - this makes me really want to get rid of my acne blemishes and marks and my extremely horrible oily skin. I would like to know what I should look out for in choosing an aesthetic skin clinics in Singapore?

Dr Chua Cheng Yu
Aesthetic
Dr Chua Cheng Yu
Aesthetic
Answered on Tue Mar 20 2018 08:17:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Jol, 

The hardware and the software are both important factors when it comes to choosing a suitable skin clinic. Skin health is a very precise science and requires little artistry unlike other aesthetic enhancements. Both experienced dermatologists and aesthetic physicians should be able to help you.

Because skin is a very precise science, I would suggest these following factors to consider when looking for good skin treatments:

1. Clinic with wide range of lasers.Different lasers help with different skin conditions. I constantly see some patients getting their skin problems treated with lasers that do not target that particular problem (e.g. using Qswitched or Thulium lasers to treat acne- these have little scientific basis and rely on the by product of heat to improve acne). Having a whole range of good laser machines ensures the doctors have the...

0 400 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 20 2018 08:17:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Aesthetic
Aesthetic
Answered on Mon Mar 19 2018 02:39:51 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Jol,

Thank you for your question. This is a commonly asked question by many patients.

There are 3 main considerations to arrive at your final decision:

1. The Doctor

2. The Technology

3. The Clinic

1. The Doctor

- Experience in treating Acne and Acne scars. Ask for Before/After photos as this showcases the doctor's personal experience with treating similar cases.

Do note that Medical Clinics are not allowed to publicly advertise Before/After photos (based on MOH guidelines) but are able to show you during the official consult.

Ensure continuity of care. Ask the doctor if he will be the doctor seeing you through the entire course of treatments. Certain chain clinics have the policy of rotating doctors. You may not see the same doctor...

0 436 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 19 2018 02:39:51 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Winston Lee
Aesthetic
Dr Winston Lee
Aesthetic
Answered on Mon Mar 19 2018 03:09:28 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dr Boey has answered well. Actually, I think that technology and the likes is just part of the story.

The most important aspect of the clinic is really the Doctor who attends to you. We have all heard horror stories, including doctors themselves who have met other doctors who don't seem to care, or dish out cookie-cutter advice to all patients.

First and foremost, the doctor must take a genuine interest in yourself and your problems, so a 2 minute consultation is not going to serve that purpose.

Rather, a proper 15 minute discussion, be it your current medications, your problems, how it is related to your menstrual cycle etc, your attitude to oral medications, must be dispensed to get a suitable treatment plan.

Acne and acne marks, are probably the most debilitating confidence-killer, and I absolutely understand that after...

0 433 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 19 2018 03:09:28 GMT+0000 (UTC)