Jol from Singapore asked a question

What should I look out for in choosing an aesthetic clinic in Singapore?

Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan

Dr Lim Ming Yee

Aesthetic Medicine Acne & Scars

Hello! I am interested in skin treatments such as chemical peels and laser treatments. I'm currently studying in university and will have to pay for these treatments myself, so price is a consideration. I see girls at school with clear skin - this makes me really want to get rid of my acne blemishes and marks and my extremely horrible oily skin. I would like to know what I should look out for in choosing an aesthetic skin clinics in Singapore?

Dear Jol, 

The hardware and the software are both important factors when it comes to choosing a suitable skin clinic. Skin health is a very precise science and requires little artistry unlike other aesthetic enhancements. Both experienced dermatologists and aesthetic physicians should be able to help you.

Because skin is a very precise science, I would suggest these following factors to consider when looking for good skin treatments:

1. Clinic with wide range of lasers. Different lasers help with different skin conditions. I constantly see some patients getting their skin problems treated with lasers that do not target that particular problem (e.g. using Qswitched or Thulium lasers to treat acne- these have little scientific basis and rely on the by product of heat to improve acne). Having a whole range of good laser machines ensures the doctors have the best choice possible for your skin problem. 

A simple problem like acne blemishes can range from pitted scars, to post-inflammatory erythema or hyper-pigmented marks. Each of this blemishes require a different laser!

2. A doctor experienced with various skin treatment machines. Like I mentioned, experienced dermatologists or aesthetic physicians should fit the bill for what you are looking for. While machines are very advanced these days, skin type, color and condition are still important factors for the doctor to consider when deciding your treatment parameters. Using sub-optimal parameters on excellent machines will still result in poor results.

There's an article on DxD that summarises the various laser and skin treatments available in Singapore. This could be a useful tool to check back on what treatments you are using or to decide your future treatments.

0 581 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 20 2018 08:17:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Jol,

Thank you for your question. This is a commonly asked question by many patients.

There are 3 main considerations to arrive at your final decision:

1. The Doctor

2. The Technology

3. The Clinic

1. The Doctor

- Experience in treating Acne and Acne scars. Ask for Before/After photos as this showcases the doctor's personal experience with treating similar cases.

Do note that Medical Clinics are not allowed to publicly advertise Before/After photos (based on MOH guidelines) but are able to show you during the official consult.

Ensure continuity of care. Ask the doctor if he will be the doctor seeing you through the entire course of treatments. Certain chain clinics have the policy of rotating doctors. You may not see the same doctor each time.

- Consultation process.

Look for a doctor who is knowledgeable, caring and meticulous in his consult.

Do not settle for slipshod consults at high volume clinics.

2. The Technology

- Ask for the type and brand of Laser and Chemical peels available.

A good doctor is only one part of the equation.

Go to clinics with reputable Laser machines so that you know that you will get good results in a reasonable number of sessions without complications.

There are cheaper Laser machines that do not give their promised results.

3. The Clinic

- Staff.

A doctor is part of a team. Look for a clinic that has approachable, knowledgeable and caring staff. This is because the staff play a critical part in Post-Laser care, especially after a Fractional Laser that has downtime. The staff will be the first-line to address your concerns and hand hold you through this exciting journey.

- Location

Acne and acne scar treatments require multiple treatment sessions. Choose a clinic that is convenient for you. This helps you to save on transport time. You should look forward to your clinic visits instead of finding them a chore!

Hope that this helps!

Best regards,

0 617 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 19 2018 02:39:51 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dr Boey has answered well. Actually, I think that technology and the likes is just part of the story.

The most important aspect of the clinic is really the Doctor who attends to you. We have all heard horror stories, including doctors themselves who have met other doctors who don't seem to care, or dish out cookie-cutter advice to all patients.

First and foremost, the doctor must take a genuine interest in yourself and your problems, so a 2 minute consultation is not going to serve that purpose.

Rather, a proper 15 minute discussion, be it your current medications, your problems, how it is related to your menstrual cycle etc, your attitude to oral medications, must be dispensed to get a suitable treatment plan.

Acne and acne marks, are probably the most debilitating confidence-killer, and I absolutely understand that after being through it myself. Seek out a doctor who has empathy as well.

Treatment wise, acne and marks, is usually merely a mix of oral and topical treatments that can be combined optimally by your doctor.

My favorite would really be starting oral medications - Antibiotics, Spironolactone or even Isotretinoin. The pricing should be reasonable. I have seen absurd pricing that's completely out of market rates. Do these treatments warrant the huge premium? I highly doubt it!

Also get some testimonials from your personal friends ---> they are usually the best source of information. Hope you find the right one soon!

0 614 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 19 2018 03:09:28 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.