What treatments for post-pregnancy hormonal cystic acne are suitable for nursing mums?

Acne & Scars Women's Health Hormonal Conditions

I am a 26-year-old who just gave birth 5 months ago. After giving birth, I have been suffering from painful cysts all over my body ranging from small red ones to big ones with pus. I would like to learn about the recommended treatment suitable for nursing mums, as I would like to continue nursing if possible.

The development of painful pus-filled lesions all over the body is not typical of acne. You may have boils or furunculosis instead. A skin swab culture to identify the bacteria and its sensitivity to antibiotics is useful to guide your doctor in prescribing the correct and safe antibiotics to you as you are still nursing. The tetracycline group of antibiotics which are commonly given to treat acne is to be avoided as it will be secreted in your breast milk and cause permanent staining in your child's developing teeth. Topical antiseptic washes may help a little as well. Do consult your doctor for a proper consultation and assessment.

Hope you recover soon and congratulations on the new addition to your family!

94 views 16 Apr 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Women's Health Hormonal Conditions or ask your own question now FOR FREE.