When is braces treatment deemed to be medically necessary? (photo)

I'm 20 and I've been dealing with uncomfortable malocclusions and overcrowded teeth my whole life. I have layers of teeth, and some baby teeth still. My mouth physically hurts due to the teeth pushing on each other. When is braces or orthondontics treatment deemed to be medically necessary? Is my condition bad enough to be considered medically necessary for treatment? Most insurance plans do not cover the work I need done unless it's deemed necessary.

In general, most orthodontic treatment for crowding is considered elective and cosmetic. An instance in which orthodontic treatment could be deemed medically necessary include crossbites causing trauma to other teeth, such that non-treatment can potentially lead to early tooth loss.  

Crowded teeth do not usually push against one another to create forces high enough to cause pain. The discomfort you have been experiencing might be due to inadequate oral hygiene leading to gum disease. Hence, it may be helpful to go for regular teeth cleaning and to upkeep good brushing and flossing practices.  

Malocclusions are, however, evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Thus, to determine if your malocclusion is considered medically necessary, it would be best evaluated with a proper clinical consultation by an orthodontist 

0 33 views 14 Mar 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Braces & Invisalign Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.