Kenneth from Singapore asked a question

Which doctor should I see for numbness at my heel and ankle?

Hi, I’ve been suffering from numbness/tingling sensation on the heel and back of the ankle area for about 1.5 months now. I’ve visited a doctor who prescribed Neuroforte and Vitamin B but have not seen any improvement. I’d like to kindly ask which specialist doctor I should visit?

Hi Kenneth

Thanks for the question and as always good to know who to visit in these situations.

As Dr Sean mentions, seeing a Foot and Ankle surgeon is a good option.  They can assess you from a musculoskeletal perspective and determine if there is something wrong with this system. 

It sounds like you have already seen a GP - and to be honest, this would have been the first person I would have advised you to see - but there are a few other options available too.

1. You could see a podiatrist.  While they might not be doctors, they are trained in foot problems and assessments and might be able to assist you with exercises, orthotics etc.

2. A physiotherapist with an interest in lower limb problems.  Similar to our podiatry colleagues, they will have been trained in assessment and treatment of common lower limb pathologies.

Depending on where you live, the alternative is to obtain a referral to a Sports Medicine/Musculoskeletal clinic. 

In doing so, it is likely that you will see a Sports Physician, who will conduct an initial assessment and carry out relevant investigations. 

If needed, they can provide you with medications, ultrasound guided treatments and co-ordinate further management with the physiotherapists, podiatrists and even their surgical colleagues. 

In doing do, you can try conservative measures initially and still have the option further interventions if the need arises.

Your symptoms certainly sound troubling so maybe best to look into these things early.

All the best.

0 207 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 26 2018 01:19:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for the questions. It seems you may have some other pathology instead of just a simple nerve problem (which was why neuroforte and vitamin B was given to you).

There can be various reasons for the symptoms in the heel and back of the ankle, including Achilles’ tendinitis, bone spurs, plantar fasciitis etc. Nerve compression problems in the heel and posterior ankle are rare, but that would be important to exclude as well.

It would be good to visit a foot & ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon, so that a thorough examination and relevant radiological investigations can be done to identify the cause of the problem. Appropriate management can then be instituted to treat the problem. 

Best regards

Dr Sean Ng 

0 221 views 0 Doctors agree Sun Mar 25 2018 05:00:38 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Kenneth,

The other possibility of the numbness/ tingling sensation could be due to a spine problem. One of the nerve roots in the spine might be pinched.

We (Orthopaedic surgeons) would need to do a thorough assessment (including a MRI scan) to find out what's the root cause of your symptoms.

Hope we cleared some doubts for you.

Cheers!

Dr. Henry Chan

0 199 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 27 2018 07:07:34 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthopaedic Surgery Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.