Which health screening tests are advisable for a healthy male in his 40s, and how often should they be performed?

Age: 40 - 49
Health Screening Health & Fitness

A healthy male in his 40s, will require a variety screening tests to assess for chronic or underlying medical conditions such as:

1. hyperlipidemia
  2. hypertension
  3. diabetes
  4. and gout

In addition, he may wish to check on the health of his heart, liver, thyroid, kidney, prostate and colon. Blood investigations may assist the clinician by giving some clues.

Other key health screening tests, which include:

1. stress ECGs
  2. colonoscopy
  3. abdominal ultrasound
  4. eye tests
  5. chest X-ray

may also be recommended after a detailed clinical history-taking and thorough physical examination.

This approach allows the patient and the clinician to plan the appropriate screening tests based on the patient's profile and risk factors.

If there is a family history of cancer, additional attention should be paid to screen for cancers. STD screening tests may also be recommended.

As one ages, the screening test frequency should increase. As a guide, they range from every 3 years to every 6 months, depending on the profile and risk factors of the patient. Medical conditions which are of greater concern should be screened more regularly.

Best regards
Dr Quah

Dr Jipson Quah

Mayfair Medical

182 Marsiling Greenview #1-04

162 views 6 Jul 2019

There are many health screening tests that can be advisable for a healthy male in his 40s, and I don’t think there can be a comprehensive way to include every single test here.

Here’s why:

For example, someone with family history of colorectal cancer at an early age may require screening at an earlier age despite being healthy his whole life, versus some other male with no genetic history.

Someone who works in an environment (such as healthcare) which puts him at risk of blood-bourne diseases may require hepatitis B and HIV screen, versus some other male who works in a protected office environment who would not necessitate that as a requirement of his job.

Someone who smokes and drinks regularly and who is planning to embark on a workout program may benefit from a stress ECG to reduce his exercise risk profile, versus who does not smoke or drink.

Moreover, listing single standalone tests here isn’t practical as most clinics and centres offers packages to get economies of scale with laboratories so that you can do multiple tests at a single price point.

The short answer to finding what health screen test is good for you is to ask these questions: 

1. Why am I doing this health screening?

2. What are my concerns?

3. What do I do for work?

4. How much do I want to know about my own health?

5. What is my budget?

After you know the answers to these questions, work with your trusted physician to identify the best package that will offer you the best value, and yet answers your queries and is applicable at an individualised level for you.

And lastly, the frequency of the screening test is dependent on what tests you opt for eventually. 

Hope this helps :)

Dr Tyler Lim
MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (Singapore)

The Iron Suites Medical Centre

160 Robinson Rd 
#04-11 SBF Centre

127 views 8 Jul 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Health Screening Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.