Why am I seeing floaters after my cataracts surgery?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed1,392 times

The occurrence of abnormally large floaters after cataract surgery can be a sign of a complication of the surgery such as excessive inflammation, residual cataract left behind or retinal tears/detachment. These complications are uncommon and a thorough eye examination will be able to exclude them.

Many patients do start to see milder pre-existing floaters that were always there but they did not notice before, because after cataract surgery their vision is suddenly so much clearer on that they can see the substances within their own eye. It can be an expected occurrence but depending on the size and number of floaters, it can be very troubling to the patient.

As a retinal specialist, I like to examine my patients' vitreous and retina before any cataract surgery to ascertain if they have any pre-existing floaters. This is because pathological floaters can be removed during the cataract surgery at the same setting, if floaters are affecting the patient's quality of life. Even if patients wish to leave their floaters alone, it is good to have them aware that they exist before undergoing cataract surgery, so they don't get a rude shock after the surgery. That is the importance of a complete eye examination before any eye surgery.

Hope that helps!

Dr Claudine Pang

Thanks for the D2D. Floaters are very common symptoms in many people’s eyes. The most common cause of floaters is degeneration of the vitreous gel and posterior vitreous detachment.

As patients with cataracts have poorer vision, it is common that they are unable to detect floaters in their field of view. However, after the patient undergoes cataract surgery, his vision improves and floaters in his eyes become more visible.

It is very important to let your eye surgeon know about your symptoms. A thorough eye examination can be performed to ensure that there are no tears, no breaks or retinal detachment, vitreous hemorrhage or inflammatory cells, as these conditions also present as floaters.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Types of Cataracts, Prevention, and What Happens After Surgery

You could call them one of the defining traits of the ‘getting old’ process. Cataracts are the clouding that occurs in the lens of the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. It’s a common condition among Singaporeans (as well as people around the world). 

Cataracts often develop slowly with symptoms such as blurry vision with halos around light or seeing faded colours.

Dr Jimmy Lim Wei Kheong is the Medical Director and a Senior Consultant at JL Eye Specialists. He is an eye surgeon who specialises in cataract, refractive surgery (LASIK), cornea, and general ophthalmology. On DoctorxDentist Sessions, he answered questions related to cataracts, from prevention measures to solutions. Here's what the doctor had to share.

Blurred Vision In The Elderly: An Ophthalmologist Explains

A major cause of blurred vision in the elderly is cataracts. A normal condition in old age, it results in the clouding of the lens which can ultimately affect vision.

Other causes of blurred vision in the elderly include age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, and increasingly, diabetic retinopathy.

Many members of the public may not know much about what comes next after discovering that an elderly loved one has blurred vision, what other complications can arise.

The Complete Guide To Seeing An Eye Specialist In Singapore (2020)

As an eye doctor practising for more than 25 years, I’ve written this guide for Singaporeans who are looking for an Opthalmologist in Singapore. 

Most of us would agree that our eyes are our most treasured asset. Indeed most of us cannot imagine a life without sight!

However, as we age, some of us may experience eye problems such as

• blurry vision
  • floaters
  • unexplained tearing
  • or eye pain
that will require the attention of an eye doctor.

This post covers all the topics I'm asked about most, such as:
  1. When to see an opthalmologist versus optometrist versus optician
  2. Which type of eye doctor to see 
  3. Private vs public eye clinics in Singapore, such as the SNEC
  4. How much it costs to see an eye specialist in Singapore
  5. How to pick the best eye doctor for your needs
A Comprehensive Guide to Cataract Surgery in Singapore by an Eye Doctor (2020)

Cataracts are one of the leading causes of blindness, affecting millions of people globally.

Moreover, you're more likely to get them as you get older, so everyone should be informed about the condition! Read on to find out more about:

• what a cataract is,
  • the 3 types of cataracts,
  • the common causes of cataracts,
  • the treatments available,
  • possible complications after surgery,
  • the costs of treatment.
The Complete Guide to Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) Surgery in Singapore (2020)

As a vision correction procedure, implantable contact lens (ICL) surgery involves implanting permanent contact lenses in your eye to correct short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism.

ICL is an option apart from laser vision correction (LVC) methods, such as LASIK and ReLEx SMILE, and is suitable for those with thinner corneas or higher prescription.

This article will be your go-to guide for everything you need to know about having ICL surgery in Singapore.

I will cover the most frequently asked questions that my patients have including: