Why do I feel a lump in my throat and nausea in the mornings?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed737 times

The feeling of a lump in the throat is a symptom medically known as a globus sensation. This is often a symptom encountered in patients with:

1. Postnasal drip

Postnasal drip refers to mucous flowing down the throat from your nose and sinuses. As the voice box is a very sensitive organ. Irritation of the voice box from mucous from the nose and sinuses can cause it to be inflamed (swollen), resulting in a feeling of something stuck in the throat. The two most common reason for this are Rhinitis (Sensitive nose) and Sinusitis (Infection of the sinuses). Patients with Rhinitis typically experience runny nose, sneezing, blocked nose, postnasal drip, itchy nose and itchy eyes.

Treatment includes allergen avoidance, nasal steroid sprays and antihistamines. Patients with sinusitis typically experience coloured nasal discharge (yellow, green, brown etc), blocked nose, facial pain, postnasal drip and reduced or loss of sense of smell. Treatment includes a course of oral antibiotics, nasal wash and nasal steroid spray. By reducing postnasal drip, the voice box will be less inflamed and the globus sensation may recover with time. 

2. Laryngopharyngeal reflux

This refers to backflow of acid content from the stomach up to the level of the voice box. Common symptoms include feeling of a lump in the throat, sore throat, cough, frequent throat clearing and hoarse voice. The voice box can be swollen from the acid content of the stomach, resulting in the symptoms in the throat. Treatment includes lifestyle modifications (E.g. reducing acid-reflux triggering food, not eating and drinking at least 3 hours before lying down or sleeping, taking small meals etc) and medications to reduce acid in the stomach. 

3. Stress and anxiety 

Stress and anxiety can cause many different symptoms in our body and a feeling of a lump in the throat is one of them. This usually occurs due to tightening of the muscles in the voice box and throat region. From the clinical history that you provided, this may be the most likely reason for your symptom. 

The first two conditions mentioned above does not usually cause nausea or vomiting. Hence, I would suggest that you visit a general practitioner first to help determine the likely cause of your symptoms and if necessary, refer you to the appropriate specialist.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Abortions In Singapore: The Essential Guide (2020)

1 in 3 women worldwide will have an abortion in their lifetime. This in-depth guide answers all the most common questions about getting an abortion in Singapore.

I hope to help dispel some of the myths surrounding abortions in Singapore by addressing the concerns that women raise at my clinic.

Ask Dr Annabelle Leong: ENT Conditions In Children

Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) problems are extremely common in children, including ear infections, blocked and stuffy nose, tonsillitis, snoring and sleep-related breathing issues.

The challenge is to diagnose these correctly in children who may not always be able to report their symptoms. With the right diagnosis, ENT conditions in children can be treated successfully.

Dr Annabelle answered questions from readers on:

• Common ENT problems in children
  • Allergic Rhinitis, Chronic Sore Throat, Hearing loss, Nose Bleeds, etc
  • Childhood ENT Disorder
  • When to see a specialist for these conditions
  • Causes of these problems
  • Treatment options in Singapore
  • Treatment costs in Singapore
Singaporean Gastroenterologists Share Tips On How To Identify And Deal With Food Poisoning

Recently, an unbelievable amount of food poisoning cases have appeared throughout Singapore. An outbreak that lasted the whole of November led to over 400 people being affected. Many of them were hospitalised for severe symptoms. 

What's even more terrifying is that while the lapse in food hygiene could be one cause, the scale and proximity of the incidences are pointing to something more; such as a bug or contaminated source.

Many Singaporeans are now fearful that they might end up spending their end-of-year holidays in the hospital. Thus, it's important to take precautions and be extra careful about where you celebrate and what you eat to stay safe!

Here are some tips from experienced gastroenterologists from the DxD community that may be able to help you identify and deal with possible digestion-related ailments.

Hysterectomy: All You Need To Know With A Singaporean Gynaecologist

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

Did you know that between 2010 and 2013, 386,226 women had done a hysterectomy in the United States? [1] In fact, hysterectomy remains to be one of the most common surgeries that Singaporean women go through.

As a gynaecologist myself, I would love to help clear up some of the doubts surrounding hysterectomy. At the same time, I would like to help you find the suitable forms of treatment that works best for your case.

Here are a few key points that you should know about hysterectomy. Click to find out!

What Should You Do If You Have Appendicitis?

Anyone can suffer from appendicitis. It often occurs in those between the ages of 10 and 30. Nonetheless, very young children and the elderly can suffer from it too.

Appendicitis is considered a medical emergency. Hence, it should be treated as soon as possible. In this article, I will be sharing more about appendicitis as well as how it can be treated.

Read on to find out more!