Why do Multifocal lenses after cataract surgery cost more but result in poorer vision for both short and long distances when compared to Monofocal lenses?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed476 times

There are several aspects to consider in answering this question.

Firstly, there is no cure for presbyopia/'Lao Hua', which refers to the loss of autofocusing ability of the eye. There are no cures, there are only compromises. That is why, in order to get relatively good vision for far and near, some compromises have to be made for the contrast at a particular distance when compared to monofocal lenses.

But then again, you have to consider what you mean by 'poorer'.

If you have a patient with a monofocal lens set at emmetropia (distance vision), then the vision is very blurred at near without glasses. While a patient with a multifocal lens will see pretty clearly at near without glasses.

Therefore when you say that '...result in poorer vision for both short and long distances when compared to monofocal lenses' you have to qualify that by specifying whether it is with or without glasses.

In other words, depending on how you look at it, multifocal lenses do not necessarily result in poorer vision. Especially when you are comparing patients who do not wear glasses.

For the other part of this question regarding cost, engineering multifocal capability into a lens requires research and extra precision steps in manufacturing. This is in addition to the usual steps in obtaining regulatory approval.

As such, it is not surprising that a multifocal lens would cost more than a monofocal lens.

The ultimate questions to be answered for a particular patient really have to do with 

1. How much he or she values spectacle freedom (even if there are halos and a reduction in contrast), vis a vis
  2. How much he or she values absolute contrast/clarity (even if there is a need to wear glasses).

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Ask Dr Jimmy Lim: Cataracts

Did you know that as we age, every single one of us will develop cataracts at some point in our lives? It's only a matter of how mild or severe the cataract formation is. Typically, people develop cataracts at around 50 to 70 years of age. However, certain things can cause you to get them at a much younger age. 

Dr Jimmy answered questions from readers on:

• How to prevent cataracts
  • Cataract causing damage to eyesight
  • How doctors choose the best type of lens
  • When to avoid cataract surgery
  • How to take care of a patient after catarct surgery
Types of Cataracts, Prevention, and What Happens After Surgery

You could call them one of the defining traits of the ‘getting old’ process. Cataracts are the clouding that occurs in the lens of the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. It’s a common condition among Singaporeans (as well as people around the world). 

Cataracts often develop slowly with symptoms such as blurry vision with halos around light or seeing faded colours.

Dr Jimmy Lim Wei Kheong is the Medical Director and a Senior Consultant at JL Eye Specialists. He is an eye surgeon who specialises in cataract, refractive surgery (LASIK), cornea, and general ophthalmology. On DoctorxDentist Sessions, he answered questions related to cataracts, from prevention measures to solutions. Here's what the doctor had to share.

Blurred Vision In The Elderly: An Ophthalmologist Explains

A major cause of blurred vision in the elderly is cataracts. A normal condition in old age, it results in the clouding of the lens which can ultimately affect vision.

Other causes of blurred vision in the elderly include age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, and increasingly, diabetic retinopathy.

Many members of the public may not know much about what comes next after discovering that an elderly loved one has blurred vision, what other complications can arise.

A Comprehensive Guide to Cataract Surgery in Singapore by an Eye Doctor (2020)

Cataracts are one of the leading causes of blindness, affecting millions of people globally.

Moreover, you're more likely to get them as you get older, so everyone should be informed about the condition! Read on to find out more about:

• what a cataract is,
  • the 3 types of cataracts,
  • the common causes of cataracts,
  • the treatments available,
  • possible complications after surgery,
  • the costs of treatment.
The Complete Guide to Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) Surgery in Singapore (2020)

As a vision correction procedure, implantable contact lens (ICL) surgery involves implanting permanent contact lenses in your eye to correct short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism.

ICL is an option apart from laser vision correction (LVC) methods, such as LASIK and ReLEx SMILE, and is suitable for those with thinner corneas or higher prescription.

This article will be your go-to guide for everything you need to know about having ICL surgery in Singapore.

I will cover the most frequently asked questions that my patients have including: