How long should I allow for my vision to stabilise after LASIK before going for LASIK enhancement?

I had my LASIK performed 2 months ago, and am still left with some residual degree. How long after LASIK can I be sure that my vision will not improve anymore? How does the time lapse between my original LASIK procedure, and the second enhancement procedure affect outcomes? I want to achieve perfect eyesight, so am currently considering LASIK enhancement. 

Hi Elaine

It is important to consider if one’s vision has stabilized after the original LASIK surgery before undergoing LASIK enhancement. There is NO definite duration of time, but in general at least 3 months after LASIK, would be the approximate period.

Nevertheless, the duration after the initial LASIK surgery, is not the most important factor to consider. If there are still changes seen in the spectacles prescription after 3 months, it will not be advisable to undergo LASIK enhancement despite the time duration.

If you are keen for a LASIK enhancement, you will need to consult your doctor and be assessed for necessity and suitability for an enhancement. More importantly, it is to ensure that your spectacles prescription has stabilized despite the duration after the original LASIK surgery.

Do discuss these with your doctor, as your doctor will be the best person to determine the timing for the enhancement

Dr Jimmy Lim Wei Kheong
MBBS, MMed (Ophthalmology), MRCSEd (Ophthalmology), FRCSEd (Ophthalmology), FAMS (Ophthalmology)

JL Eye Specialists

6 Napier Road #07-10
Gleneagles Medical Centre

916 views 15 Oct 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Eye Health LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.