How to get rid of dark spot on face? (photo)

Hi I've had this dark spot on my face for around 1 year. It has darkened gradually. It is quite prominent even after I put makeup on. When it first appeared, I was worried and I've been putting sunblock on my face when I go out ever since. Is there any way I can remove this spot, for example by lasering it?

How to get rid of dark spot on face? (photo) 5c2ee1be5a863f0051c6dfeb

It would seem from the photo provided that you have what is referred to as solar lentigine or sun spot which is due to UV damage. 

There are several options in terms of treatment 

1. Topical creams/ serums  — the commonly used ones include Vitamin C 10/ 15 % , hydroquinone 4% or in a triple formulation that also includes retin A and a steriod, various combinations of whitening agents like Kojic acid , azelaic acid and the lastest product called cysteamine. However the use of topical agents do have some limitations and sometimes there may not result in complete clearance of the spot.

2. Medical Grade Devices like IPL and pigment specific lasers that include the Q switched lasers and the latest Picosecond laser . In my practice I utilise Cutera Pico Genesis Laser which I find quite effective with minimal risk of PIH ( post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) 

In my opinion you should discuss the pros and cons of the various treatment options with your doctor and make an informed decision . Whatever treatment option you choose you must bear in mind that the sun spot can recur so must have in place a preventive regime that includes a sunblock of SPF 30 or more that can be combined with oral supplements like Crystal Tomato or Heliocare Pure White Radiance . Routine use of topical Vitamin C is also encouraged .

Hope this helps .

0 408 views 4 Jan 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.