Is it safe to remove multiple teeth at one go?

Dental

Hello, is it safe to remove multiple teeth at one go? (6 impacted - 3 supernumeraries on the mandible and lingual side, 3 wisdom teeth). What considerations are there for multiple teeth extraction in one sitting?

It is not uncommon for patients to have multiple teeth removed at one time. Many patients opt for this as they neither have to undergo the procedure more than once nor make multiple dental visits. It helps to save time as well as additional medication or anaesthesia fees.  

When removing multiple teeth, most patients opt to do it under intravenous sedation. When sedated, you will be asleep and unaware of the teeth being removed, thus allaying your fears and anxiety of surgeries.

Intravenous sedation is done with a medical anaesthetist in attendance during the entire procedure. Your heart rate, oxygen level and blood pressure will be monitored continuously to ensure your safety. 

Nonetheless, some patients may still prefer to remove multiple teeth on seperate occasions for reasons such as these:

1) By removing teeth on one side first, the teeth on the other side can be used to chew food normally. 

2) Not opting for intravenous sedation due to the fees, hence they find it less stressful to remove multiple teeth in stages.

You are recommended to share your concerns with your dentist/oral surgeon and he/she will advise what works best for your situation.

Best regards

Dr Ho Kok Sen

736 views 6 Jul 2018

For a healthy individual with no significant medical history, it is generally safe to remove multiple teeth at one go.

Some of the considerations that would go through my mind are:

1. I would consider sedation for patients comfort since multiple teeth are being removed.

2. I would consider whether there is any significant medical history that might complicate the procedure. For example: Being on blood thinning medication, undergoing cancer chemotherapy treatment, being on certain medications like bisphosphonates and having uncontrolled diabetes etc. All these medical conditions and medications might result in very poor healing or even uncontrolled bleeding during the procedure. For patients who have significant medical history as described above, i would work closely with the patients physician to get medical clearance before multiple teeth extractions are attempted.

3. I would consider the trauma of the procedure to the patient. If the extractions are simple and uncomplicated, and if the patients tolerance to discomfort is high, then removing 6 teeth at one go would not be an issue. However, if all the 6 teeth are extremely difficult to remove, perhaps requiring extensive surgery, then the benefits of having all the teeth taken out at once must outweigh the surgical risks before it makes sense to remove all 6 teeth at one go.

4. I would consider the financial situation and budget of the patient.

5. I would consider what to do with the empty gaps after the 6 teeth are extracted. Questions i would ask are: Are dental implants necessary? Are the extractions part of a orthodontic treatment plan? Would Dentures be suitable? Or would it be best to do nothing about the missing teeth gaps?

6. I would consider the patients work and life commitments because extracting multiple teeth at one go may result in significant swelling, discomfort and bruising.  I would consider doing the procedure when the patient can afford to take a week off from work and other commitments to rest and recover. 

I hope you find my answer useful and i wish you all the best in finding a experienced and reputable dentist that you can trust and have rapport with.

Kind Regards,

Dr Gerald Tan

744 views 5 Jul 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.