What are the pros and cons of surgical jaw reduction for a slimmer face? (photo)

I am looking towards surgical jaw reduction for a slimmer face. However, it appears that practitioners in Singapore mostly only offer non-surgical jaw reduction options, i.e. Botox. I would like to find out what are the pros and cons of surgical jaw reduction to obtain a slimmer face? For example, is the lack of providers of surgical jaw reduction due to (a) the complications that can occur with surgical jaw reduction, (b) the complexity of the surgery?

What are the pros and cons of surgical jaw reduction for a slimmer face? (photo) 5bab58c2ebf8020056cebc67
Dr Terence Goh
Dr Terence Goh
"President of the Singapore Association of Plastic Surgeons"

Thank you for your question. I don't have a complete photo to make an assessment. However, from what I can see it seems that you do not need jaw reduction to make your face slimmer. I am unable to visualise the rest of your face to make a complete assessment. Botox helps to reduce the size of your masseter muscle which can help to reduce the width of the jaw. 

There are numerous plastic surgeons in Singapore who perform jaw reduction as well as maxilla reduction surgery. With every procedure there may be complications. I would suggest that you make an in-person consultation with a surgeon that has expertise in this area so that they can give you advice on both non-surgical and surgical treatment options.

I hope this helps! Have a great week ahead!

Dr. Terence Goh

811 views 30 Sep 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Medicine Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.