What is the best treatment for an 8 month old burn mark that is still visible? (photo)

I have an immensely huge burn mark/scar on my left leg. It's been there for 8 months. I'm currently using hydroquinone with arbutin, but I feel like it hasn't improved much. What is the best treatment to fully get rid of the burn mark? I'd like to try the strongest cream first before heading the laser route if possible. 

What is the best treatment for an 8 month old burn mark that is still visible? (photo) 5c4130e2873c783331dae46f

Hi 

It looks like you had quite a severe burn over your left leg that has recovered with a large patch of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I do not see any scarring over the patch which is a good thing. 

It looks like the  hydroquinone and Arbutin cream has not worked well. I am not sure of the concentration of the products you are using but in my opinion if you are not contemplating laser treatment you can consider the following:

1. Chemical Peeling — there are various types of peeling available to lighten pigmentation. At my clinic we use a modified TCA peel that lightens the pigment with no downtime.

2. Lightening creams — we use a proprietary blend of hydroquinone, tretinion, and triamcinolone which is like a triple formulation similar to Kligman’s formula. 

3. Vitamin C iontophoresis to lighten the hyperpigmentation. 

If all these fail, then you can contemplate the laser treatments.

Hope this helps 

Dr KK Chew

Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.