What is the cost of breast explant surgery in Singapore, and how are breast implants removed?
When you first decided on breast implants, you probably weren’t thinking about when and if you will be removing it. Though not as common, there are many reasons for women to remove their implants. They range from concerns ranging from problems with the implant such as implant rupture or capsular contracture, to dissatisfaction with breast size, or change in personal image.
Here are some common reasons why breast implant removal might be the right choice for you:
1. You are not happy with the way your breast implants look or you want to return to your natural cup size
2. The scar tissue over the implant is getting tighter or harder, and there is discomfort or pain over the breast tissue
3. There is a rupture of one or both implants
The cost of breast explant surgery without replacement of implants will depend on the following factors:
1. Surgeon’s fees. The surgeon fees will depend on the time required (varies between 1 to 3 hours) and the complexity of the case. Certain cases require a simple explant of implant and capsulotomy (opening of the capsule that holds the implant), whilst other cases may require a capsulectomy (complete removal of the capsule) and in cases of implant rupture there may be a need to factor additional time to remove the ruptured silicone implant.
In certain individuals, immediate exchange of the breast implant may be done or fat grafting can also be done to replace the lost volume. This will increase the cost of the surgeon’s fees. Discuss with your surgeon today to see which is the most suitable option for your case.
2. Anaesthetist fees. The surgery can be done under intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia. This depends on the surgeon and also the complexity of the surgery.
3. Facility fees. Most cases of breast implant removal with immediate implant exchange or fat grafting can be done as an outpatient procedure (which does not require overnight hospital stay). The facility fees will depend on where you decide to have your surgery done. The prices for facility fees are generally higher if it is done in a hospital and cheaper if it can be done in clinics that have their own operating theatres.
The average cost of breast implant removal is around $6000 and it ranges from $3000 to $15000.
How are breast explants done?
Depending on the reasons for breast explant, a capsulotomy or capsulectomy can be done. Capsulotomy is a surgical procedure where the breast capsule (fibrous tissue) that forms over the breast implant is opened up and the implant is removed without removal of the capsule. The capsule will then resorb and disappear over time. Similarly, implant exchange can also be done with a capsulotomy, which makes for a less bloody and quicker operation. Capsulectomy is a surgical procedure where the capsule is removed together with the implant. In certain cases, the capsule may be calcified, contracted or overly thickened and removal of the capsule is necessary for good breast contours. This is usually a more technically challenging operation, and requires more time and expertise.
Depending on the state of the breast implants, they may be removed using their previous incision. In certain cases, such as implant rupture or calcified implants, an incision over the underside of the breast may be required for better visualisation. Alternatively, endoscopic assisted implant removal can be done through smaller incisions.
What will happen to my breasts after the implants are moved ?
The results after breast implant removal will vary between individuals, depending on their original size, shape and duration of breast implants. After explantation, the breasts will lose their volume and may look wrinkled or droopy before slowly regaining their natural shape, pre-implant.
Are there effective alternatives to breast implant removal
Breast implant revision or replacement is an alternative to implant removal. This can be a simple change of implant to a different volume, shape, or projection. A breast lift (mastopexy) can also be done during the same surgery. Unlike breast implant removal, your surgeon will replace the implants that you currently have so that your breasts will not be flat or droopy.
Dr Terence Goh