What should one do about heavy blood loss during menopause?Gynaecology
My mother had her menopause recently and had very heavy blood flow for the past 20 days. Consequently, she has been feeling dizzy. A blood test also revealed that she is anaemic, and we are concerned.
About 1 in 3 woman do experience heavy bleeding around the time of their menopause (known as the perimenopause).
Bleeding is considered heavy if it:
- soaks through 1 pad every 2 hours or less
- lasts longer than 7 days
Heavy bleeding during perimenopause is usually due to:
- Hormone imbalance, which causes the uterine lining to build up. This results in heavier bleeding as the lining sheds.
- Increase in polyps (small, noncancerous tissue growths that can occur in the lining of the uterus) which can cause bleeding.
- Occasionally, fibroid growth during perimenopause can sometimes also cause heavy bleeding
The symptoms of dizziness are likely due to the anaemia, which was brought on by the heavy bleeding.
During heavy bleeding, doctors normally advice:
- To stay hydrated, and drink lots of fluid
- Resting during periods of heavy flow
They also sometimes prescribe NSAIDS such as ibuprofen, which will help to decrease the amount of blood loss by 20 - 40%.
Other treatment that may help include hormone replacement therapy, which also helps to reduce menstrual bleeding.
If heavy or prolonged bleeding occurs, do make a trip to see the doctor. The doctor can monitor blood count and iron levels, and prescribe iron tablets as necessary to help prevent or treat anaemia, or test and treat other possible causes of abnormally heavy bleeding.
Abortions In Singapore: The Essential Guide (2019)
1 in 3 women worldwide will have an abortion in their lifetime. This in-depth guide answers all the most common questions about getting an abortion in...READ MORE
This Gynae Delivered 10,000 Babies Over 30 Years, Here Are His Best Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy And Childbirth
Dr Paul Tseng recently hosted a Session where he answered reader questions on Pregnancy, Childbirth, and IVF. He's a well-loved Obgyn and fertility...READ MORE