Why do I get recurrent bleeding in my eye that causes it to look bloodshot? (photo)

I had a blood-shot eye that occurred 3 times in the last 2 months. What are possible causes, and what should I do next?

Why do I get recurrent bleeding in my eye that causes it to look bloodshot? (photo) 5c7cbfbf3d015b5fda300d8a

There are many causes of recurrent subconjunctival hemorrhages, and most of them relate to raised intra-thoracic pressure, or local trauma.

Common causes include simple eye rubbing due to dry or itchy eyes, use of topical eye drops like corticosteroids have also been known to make delicate conjunctival vessels more prone to rupture.

Young patients may get recurrent subconjunctival hemorrhages from a valsalva maneuvre (e.g. physical exertion, lifting weights, bout of severe coughing / sneezing, or even straining at the toilet). Elderly patients may find that use of anti-platelet agents may predispose them to such hemorrhages.

Rarely are systemic medical conditions a cause for such bleeds. If in doubt, you should consult your ophthalmologist for a detailed and targeted examination!

236 views 13 Mar 2019
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Eye Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.